Jambands.ca

Movies you love!

Ms Zimmy

I urge all you Star Wars fanatics out there (and fans of great cinema) to check out Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, a film that helped inspire Lucas to make his iconic trilogy. Also check out Kurasawa's other masterpieces like Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Ran, Rashomon, Ikiru, The Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Kagemusha and a few others. His prime actors through his films, Takeshi Shimura and the great Toshiro Mifune, are two of the finest ever to grace the screen and I think Kurasawa is the greatest director of all time.

troe_negodyaev.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we've had this topic before (only mentioning 'cause if you can finesse the search enough - I always have trouble with it - you might find a few more gems). I remember that Ms. Hux's fav. is Back to the Future (slap me if I've mis-remembered that, Ms. Hux), beyond that, I don't remember much.

Mine are always the same, and in this order:

#1: dfmp_0079_cat_on_a_hot_tin_roof_1958.jpg

#2:

Velvet.jpg

#3:

harold_and_maude_dvd_lar.gif

I also very much like Jaimoe's picks, if you subtract the sci-fi.

And this, of course:

Django.jpg

But never, ever in the english-dubbed version, which even I can't stomach.

I attempted to watch this a couple of weeks ago when I was in England. It came on SkyDish. It never felt like it went anywhere to me. Maybe I'll have to give it another try some day.

One older movie that I saw recently was "The Converstion" with Gene Hackman and a young Harrison Ford. Highly recommended if you've not seen it yet.

You mis-spelled the title: it's actually The Conversation (see also this description).

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

The Sting

Oh yes, and this! Ms. Zimmy, I saw that you had Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on your list. If you enjoy that Paul Newman + Robert Redford pairing up, you will probably enjoy this movie a lot!

(And if you thought Redford looked a whole hell of a lot like Brad Pitt in BCatSK, just wait till you see him chewing on that tooth-pick in The Sting ..)

I remember that Ms. Hux's fav. is Back to the Future (slap me if I've mis-remembered that, Ms. Hux)

You're very correct dude. Here's proof! (that's our car)

I concur that this topic has come up before, but it should come up at least every couple of years or even yearly. People discover films and new shit comes out all the time. However, for me I think everything that I really love to this point has been posted. I love seeing Star Wars in a chick's list. That's so awesome! I was going to try and add something different and then saw that Memento was already posted. That movie blew my mind.

n723505136_3228427_4645.jpg

Brendan and I were going to dress up last Halloween as Hans Solo encased in Carbonite and I was going as Bounty Hunter princess leia...but we never get our $hit together in time. Hahaha his idea.

carbonite.jpg

leiabountyhunter.jpg

star wars tril. should be watched every 6 months.

I concur that this topic has come up before, but it should come up at least every couple of years or even yearly. People discover films and new sh!t comes out all the time. However, for me I think everything that I really love to this point has been posted.

Oh yeah, for sure, bring it on bring it on. I don't mean at all that we shouldn't do this sort of thread as often as possible, was just pointing out that there is probably some really great stuff to be mined in the archives, given the patience and dedication to do the mining.

I'm the same in that everything I really love has probably been posted, and my faves are all static. Unless we start a Western thread, in which case it may just become a Jaimoe and d_jango love-in.

COOL plates dude! Ruling all over the schooling. Sweet ass shit. ( Oh .. wait .. California. Okay, that's how trusting and gullible I am. Thanks for taking advantage of that. ;) )