Jambands.ca

Cell phones?

Rob Not Bob

Don't get locked in to anything long term, I've heard there are new CRTC regs coming in October that is going to open the market up to even more competitors hence lowering the price (I hope!).

I've never paid for a cell phone bill in 7 years (thanks employers) but since I lost my job I don't have one- and it only took about a week to get used to that feeling again (and to find payphones).......

Since you are in the consideration phase, is it ok to ask some questions to help you decide whether or not you really need a cell phone in the first place?

Yes?

ok.

Question 1: why do you want a cell phone ?

Question 2: do you travel alot?

Question 3: how often do you find yourself in a situation where you cannot find a phone? (this includes not being near people that have a cell phone)

Question 4: are you at risk of needing to call emergency services?

Question 5: do you want to live without a landline?

Question 6: are you rarely near your landline?

ok...that's all I got for now!

if you are getting a phone, there are so many types of phones, features and services to choose from, that it's fucking crazy out there. iPhone (coming monday!), HTC touch, motorola, blackberry, etc...

i live without a cell phone and I can't think of a reason to get one.

Let's just move on the assumption that I am getting one, ok? I'm not getting one for a status symbol or anything like that, I've been fighting getting one for years but I need one at this point. I've been 2 years working where I had no phone access to the outside at all, and yes I travel a lot. So enough of the "don't get a cell phone" advice and if you have any solid advice for models or plans, I would love to hear it.

If I were you, I would then look at what else I would like to do with the phone besides talking. Camera features, playing music, doing video, browsing the internet, etc are all viable options.

Sharon's got a razor for work and it does everything but video (or maybe it does). However, it's pretty much used only for taking/making calls. I think that your base options actually include a camera these days and they give these things away with a 2 year contract.

Go with a no contract pay-as-you-go type thing. We have plans with Virgin, one is a pay-as-you-go, the other is a plan.

I think it depends how much you think you NEED vs just having a safety line or something like that. If you're just having it because you travel and need something to keep contact with "in case", go with the $10 a month plan that you top up with a few minutes. I think the minutes are good for a few months. So, you might pay 10 bucks to add some minute, plus 10 bucks a month. If it takes you 3 months to use those minutes (as an infrequent user) it is TOTALLY worth it.

With Virgin, you also get call display, voice mail, call waiting and all the other shit the "other" companies make you pay for (4-8 dollars for EACH service), especially if you aren't getting a big bundle because they have to nickel and dime you to make money off of you. Also, watch for "system access" fees and emergency connection fees and stuff like that. Virgin doesn't charge any of that either. Also look to see how much it costs to CANCEL you contract with a company if you decide to go that route. It might be more now but with Bell, you used to have to pay 20 bucks per month for the remainder of your contract, or 120 bucks, whichever is GREATER.

Do it if you have to....good luck!

Oh, and as for models, the Korean brands Samsung and LG have always been good for me...

oh yeah, forgot to mention....thanks for reminding me Bouche. With Virgin you do have to buy the phone up front. I think the one I have cost 60 or 70 bucks.

DON"T GET SUCKED INTO THE FREE PHONE FOR A CONTRACT SCAM

***Disclaimer***

I don't work for Virgin wireless, but get a warm, tingly feeling every time I type the name.

i'm with telus on a pay and talk plan. to 'keep' your minutes you have to pay at least ten bucks a month. your minutes accumulate when you do not use them. it's 25 cents a minute, and since i only use maybe ten minutes a month its worth it. when i travel though i seem to use up most of my balance and have to add money. the phone cost me 150 bucks four years ago...so in that first year you do not save anything/save less compared to a contract.

If you're going to be around wireless internet service you might want to get an iPod Touch and set it up with internet phone...

Then you can just use your home phone on the road and have a cool ipod...I've been told that it's possible but I have a cellphone with a contract and don't entirely need it...although I have loads of LD and Roadside assistance which I have used, it's not really giving me the value i need at this very moment. My plan's pretty good but still...

Do I need it? Not particularly unless I'm driving somewhere and my car breaks and nobody's helpful.

It helps at the grocery store and for getting directions on the fly...and it's a walkman phone.

I wouldn't really miss it if it were gone and I had an mp3 player that was also a camera and alarm clock.

I really wish I could stick the thing on vibrate for those long bus and plane rides I take every so often. I'd at least get some pleasure out of the fucker. Until they invent that, feel free to call me randomly just in case I'm feeling lonely for technology.

ipod touch is not a reliable internet phone device. I can only use a wireless a/b/g/n network. Not cellphone networks. a new 3G iPhone is expected to launch on monday with possibly support in Canada by Rogers which means that you're likely to see me with a wireless phone device in the next couple of years.

if Apple decides to stuff a phone in my iPod, I have no control over that.

rogers is the company you want. its all free local rogers to rogers network calls, free evenings that start at 4pm, free weekends. they also have the least dropped calls. the guy i work with right now, he swears by rogers. it still gets reception in the basements of new residential surveys in the middle of nowhere, he just got the new LG shine, tons of mp3 space, 2 cameras, one facing you, one facing out, for video calls, if the other party has the same phone or whatever. it has 2 chips in it for reception, IE: if your call is gonna get dropped/cut off due to poor reception, it automatically switches to the other network, something like that anyways...

ive actually got 2 cell phones that i dont use, but with me starting my own crew this year, i need to go get one hooked up. im going thru rogers, because almost everyone i work with is on that network, hence alot of free calls. so it just makes sense.

good luck with your cellphone adventures dude