Roll Call: R.E.M. w/ Modest Mouse & the National @ Molson Amp Sun Jun 8, 08

TimmyB

WWW.LIVENATION.COM

R.E.M.

RAIN OR SHINE

THE MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE

NO RECORDERS/AUDIO/VIDEO

SUN JUN 8 2008 6:30PM

I absolutely love the latest R.E.M. album 'Accelerate' it is definitely a return to form for the boys from Athens, GA. I am very much looking forward to seeing these latest songs live as well as a few classics thrown in for good measure.

Add in the fact that they have two excellent openers for this Molson Amphitheatre gig, in Modest Mouse and the National there was no way I was going to miss this one.

I am excited to get to finally see Johnny Marr live in Modest Mouse.

Peace,

Tim

The Star's shoe-gazing loving/Phish-hating "modern rock" reviewer Ben Rayner liked the show in today's paper. He failed to mention Modest Mouse and The National though, although my friends that were in attendance liked The National and were just "ok" with Modest Mouse's set.

The Star's shoe-gazing loving/Phish-hating "modern rock" reviewer Ben Rayner liked the show in today's paper. He failed to mention Modest Mouse and The National though, although my friends that were in attendance liked The National and were just "ok" with Modest Mouse's set.

Did he??

a lot of talk about weather and rainbows

It did, too, storming onstage to a couple of the conscientiously old-school R.E.M.-styled guitar raveups from Accelerate, which I realized last night I can't tell apart as well as I'd believed, before "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" confirmed, three tunes in, that noise and jangle of the same, comforting variety would be the theme of the night. "Drive," the portentous opener from 1993's Automatic for the People, was a shrewd, unexpectedly massive catalogue bid to keep things massive and then ... well, I'm not sure what happened.

Accelerate got a good airing, the new songs maintaining a good clip even if nothing stuck so much until "Living Well is the Best Revenge" and an encore version of "Supernatural" broke a late-set lull that relied on so-so latter-years flashes like "Bad Day" and "Electrolite" to stoke the soggy crowd. "The One I Love" and "Orange Crush" were welcome jolts, and "Losing My Religion" was the inevitable mass orgasm, but there was something missing from the amphitheatre hillside that had propelled me to the exit before "Fall on Me" roared out of the PA. And that shouldn't be.

He didn't tear it apart, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, either.

Link

I enjoyed all three bands (although grab a grain of salt as i've been accused of being easy to please...). I was also really impressed with nature's cooperation. It rained between sets and just before REM took the stage there was a big bright double rainbow to the east. Gotta love an outdoor show!