Jambands.ca

Ivana Santilli w/Kae Sun - June 20 - T.O. Jazz @ Revival

shainhouse

REMG & TD Canada Trust Toronto Jazz Festival Presents

IVANA SANTILLI

with special guest Kae Sun and DJ John Kong

Friday June 20, 2008

Revival Bar (783 College Street)

Tickets are $15.00 (plus any additional fees) in advance and available at Ticketmaster, Rotate This, Soundscapes and Play De Record

19+ Doors at 9pm, Show at 10pm

june20.jpg

REMG & TD Canada Trust Toronto Jazz Festival are proud welcome back Toronto's own Ivana Santilli on Friday June 20 at Revival in Toronto.

With her third solo album, TO.NY (due out June 10), Toronto native Ivana Santilli has taken her sound into what for her is uncharted territory: "As a musician, I've been able to venture into different genres and styles: bossa nova, drum & bass, soul, funk, broken beat... I've now taken on a new challenge -- pop music. It's really my re-interpretation of a certain era of pop music. Of that time in the late '70s and early '80s when pop really meant 'popular' and everyone was into it, not just sold on it."

Ivana's no stranger to commerce though. Having tasted major label success while still a wide-eyed teen with funk-pop outfit Bass is Base, in 1999 the tri-lingual multi-instrumentalist ventured out on her own and released her debut solo album, Brown. Brown sold in excess of 40,000 units, won her an impressive collection of awards and nominations and put her solidly in the vanguard of the then still nascent indie music scene.

On her 2004 follow up, Corduroy Boogie, and a host of guest appearances and critically acclaimed singles since, Ivana's firmly established a winning musical formula by combining strikingly beautiful music, soul bearing lyrics and high energy live shows. "Truth be told," she says, "although I love writing songs and recording, I live to perform. I probably shouldn't admit this but for me the best thing about having a new album is that now I get to really go out and live in the spontaneity of what happens with the band directly in front of an audience."