Jambands.ca

Alanis Morissette on Howard

phishtaper

That was a good one. nice guitars in that version of the pocket song. She had good control over the interview and dodged some bullets while handing questions back to Howard. Whenever you're in a tight spot on the show, just ask him about getting married.

She mentioned "Sarah Slean" as her favourite musician right now. I thought I'd check her out on YouTube. Definitely worth a listen.

Alanis Morissette stopped by and Howard told her that the guys in the back were all excited by the hot women in her entourage. Alanis confirmed the reports: “I can't help it, I'm a magnet for them.” Howard asked Alanis about her ex, Ryan Reynolds, and Alanis diverted, noting that her music comes from one of two possible sources: love/joy or pain/anger. Howard also wondered what Alanis thought of Ryan's new girlfriend, Scarlett Johansson - or her music - but Alanis refused to comment.

Howard noted that Alanis went to therapy five days a week after her breakup with Ryan, but Alanis insisted “It's not always about the guy, dude. It's about me...It takes two to tango.” Alanis went on to say she only waited “a couple months” after her breakup before having sex again. Howard asked Alanis' guitarist, David, why he didn't intervene in her relationship with “that asshole,” so David explained that he just decided to be nice and wait it out.

Howard asked what Alanis liked to do in the bedroom, and she replied that a more appropriate question was: “What don't I like to do?” Alanis told Howard, “You're cute," explaining that she was charmed by his curiosity. Getting nowhere,

Howard then demanded that Alanis start singing the songs she'd written about her exes: "Let's hear a Dave Coulier song and then a Ryan Reynolds song." Alanis obliged, performing "Hand in My Pocket" and then a new song, "Underneath."

Howard wondered if Alanis had ever been with woman, and instead of replying, she became very quiet. Howard was elated: "You're wilder than I thought! Did you ever bring a woman into the bedroom with your man?" Alanis was obviously uncomfortable with Howard's line of questioning: "Can we talk about this next song?" Robin joined in as well, asking if Alanis had ever taped herself having sex or taken nude pictures, and Alanis admitted she had: "I destroy them eventually."

Sarah Slean may be able to craft a pretty pop song, but she is the second most annoying performer I have ever witnessed (second to Bjork). Sometimes an artist (see Ryan Adams) just needs to shut up and play. Her "cutesy, storyteller" thing is enough to walk out of a show (I have while she was opening for Sexsmith- and I told him why when he asked after. He replied with a grin and a "I've heard that before.")