Jambands.ca

Ottawa Jazz Festival

phorbesie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Sasso will be performing with a (or his) dixieland band at the Rideau Centre on Sunday, June 22, at noon. It's a free show.

http://www.ottawajazzfestival.com/en/events/eventDetails.asp?artistID=850

I talked to Mike on Monday about it, and he said it's going to be more New Orleans horn-based stuff, rather than pure dixieland. I think if we could muster a crew of a couple of dozen drunk and rowdy revellers for this one, it could be loads of fun. ;)

Aloha,

Brad

drunk and rowdy at noon on a Sunday?

that sounds like a challenge!

It's even harder, because my guess is that the band will be set up in front of Eaton's, in that courtyard-ish area near the elevators, which means there won't be any (legal) source of alcohol, and, being very far indoors, ducking out for things won't work very well. I think the closest licensed establishment will be the Elephant & Castle, but I'm not sure whether it'll open early enough on a Sunday morning to give us time to get in shape for the show. This situation may require assistance from The Snoot Squod.

Aloha,

Brad

I wanna go see Return to Forever and might show up for others shows too...I'm also planning to spend most of the day there on Canada Day...if they serve beer on that day.

Beau's beer is being served this year at the festival. Right on!:

TD Canada Trust Ottawa International Jazz Festival welcomes local brewery

The TD Canada Trust Ottawa International Jazz Festival is delighted to welcome local micro-brewery, Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company, of Vankleek Hill, in Eastern Ontario, as the official beer supplier of the 2008 Festival this summer taking place from June 20 – July 1.

Everything from the brewing, organic malts, to the local springwater is all natural. This family-run business was founded by a father and son team, Tim and Steve Beauchesne in 2006 and has already made major strides in Ontario’s beer industry.

“Launched on Canada Day 2006, Lug Tread has already earned a reputation for quality and clean taste with beer drinkers who want more than just a cheap buzz. It's actually got character and flavour.â€

– Ron Eade, Ottawa Citizen.

This summer Beau’s All Natural will launch their newest product a dark beer, called Festivale (Festive-Ale; get it?), at the Festival. Festivale will complement Beau’s flagship product, the multi-award-winning Lug Tread Lagered Ale.

http://www.beaus.ca

• 2 weeks later...

The after-fest jam session space is now at the Crown Royal. It's a little further away but it is a fair bit bigger and better laid out, I think. $8 for a premium beer though!

I went last night with my brother. We didn't see Wynton but a few guys from the band were up there and sounding good. For all I know he may still have shown up, I cut out for home around 1:30.

i wanted to go see the lincoln jazz orchestra with wynnie. by the time bbq lamb kabobs, corn, salad, cookies and chocolate pudding was done it was nearly 9 pm and the sun was on it's way to sleep. At this point my level of wanting to go out was down to a 5 or 6. Too many drinks to drive, and I wasn't sure where the light was for my bike.

I imagine that it was pretty damn wicked though if they were playing the big band standards that I expected.

so, how was it?

This summer Beau’s All Natural will launch their newest product a dark beer, called Festivale (Festive-Ale; get it?), at the Festival. Festivale will complement Beau’s flagship product, the multi-award-winning Lug Tread Lagered Ale.

I tried Festivale last night, and wasn't really impressed. I like Lug Tread, but Festivale didn't have much going for it beyond being a maltier, dark-coloured beer.

Aloha,

Brad

As is often the case when I go to see these old jazz legends, I was pleasantly surprised by Buddy Defranco. Buddy didn't play a lot, but when he did it was impeccable. His band was great.

Agreed.

I'm psyched for Herbie Hancock tonight.

I am, too, not least of which because his drummer is Vinnie Colaiuta, who's best known for having played with Frank Zappa in the late 1970s.

Aloha,

Brad

tonight (herbie) was awesome. that is in the top 2 shows i've seen this year. anyone got a setlist?

awesome lineup...dave holland on bass and a really cool african guitarist. great singers too. 'all i want' gave me the chills several times. wicked funky fun show! :)