Jambands.ca

MMJ - NYE - MSG - NYC

Basher

I dig MMJ, but this seems rather premature. Didn't WSP have a half-empty barn when they played there a few years ago?

Panic "filled" it - but it wasn't sold out. In fact, all my NYC friends that were there with me said it was the only time they'd ever seen MSG not sold out...

MMJ must be a little worried - I mean, announcing it in June is weird no?

The Jacket have a great following in NYC, so hopefully they know what they are doing. Also, many bands get paid upfront.

Jim James said recently that they switched to "An Evening With" format because they don't like leaving songs that many like out. Let's hope there's room now for songs from The Tennessee Fire and At Dawn.

I am just thinking back to every time I've seen a show or tour billed as "An Evening With..."; they have always been one band events.

Are The Grateful Dead and New Riders Of The Purple Sage one band or two?

http://the-roadhouse-viander.blogspot.com/2008/06/grateful-dead-evening-with-grateful.html

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

IIRC, at that point NRPS featured Garcia, Hart and Lesh. If MMJ has an opening act on NYE that features three of MMJ's own members, I will gladly stand corrected.

I got that email and seriously started considering my first NYE trip in many years. Actually' date=' I haven't done anything ever.[/quote']

I am hurt darling. Every year since I've met you we've celebrated with either nero or BNB (except for last year when it was notably low key but still very, very enjoyable if you recall.)

as if those weren't great new years evesez! BnB and Nero put on some incredibly memorable NYESEZ. I just meant that I haven't TRAVELLED anywhere to see anything at a major venue, despite the opportunities. The last time I travelled anywhere for NYE was to Toronto to see Days of You cover Let it Be. That was pretty cool too.

How long were the others in New Riders?

Where do you think Garcia learned to play the pedal steel?

;)

But to answer your question, I think Jerry was more or less there for a couple of years off and on? Mickey and Phil were there at the start as well. In fact, I think Phil editted or produced the first album or something.

Basically, it was a friend of friends band.

- I always thought "an evening with" indicated that there will be two sets instead of one.

- Maybe they have an alternative set-up option at MSG which reduces the size of the venue.

- Along similar lines, Feist has a gig coming up at the ACC, with Hayden opening. Is any more ambitious than MMJ at MSG?

I only traveled twice for big NYE shows.

1 - Big Cypress

2 - Birth of Phish 2.0, MSG

Pretty good selection there.

Same here!