Jambands.ca

Roll Call: My Morning Jacket Toronto

Basher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a set list at

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/archive/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=696&Itemid=26

2008-06-16 Kool Haus - Toronto, ON

1. Evil Urges

2. I'm Amazed

3. Off The Record

4. What A Wonderful Man

5. Gideon

6. Highly Suspicious

7. Thank You Too!

8. Lowdown

9. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1

10. Librarian

11. Sec Walkin

12. Golden

13. Two Halves

14. The Way That He Sings

15. Lay Low

16. Aluminum Park

17. Remnants

18. Smokin From Shootin

19. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2

----------

20. Wordless Chorus

21. Steam Engine

22. One Big Holiday

23. Run Thru

24. Anytime

Aloha,

Brad

I hear ya on Highly Suspicious, but after listening to Evil Urges a bunch of times, I find it more in keeping with Z and their evolving sound. 'Sec Walkin' I thought was pretty cheese but its still a Jim James song at heart. On the whole, I really dig Evil Urges. It has a good flow from beginning to end and remains interesting throughout.

2008-06-16 Kool Haus - Toronto, ON

1. Evil Urges

2. I'm Amazed

3. Off The Record

4. What A Wonderful Man

5. Gideon

6. Highly Suspicious

7. Thank You Too!

8. Lowdown

9. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1

10. Librarian

11. Sec Walkin

12. Golden

13. Two Halves

14. The Way That He Sings

15. Lay Low

16. Aluminum Park

17. Remnants

18. Smokin From Shootin

19. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2

----------

20. Wordless Chorus

21. Steam Engine

22. One Big Holiday

23. Run Thru

24. Anytime

Aloha,

Brad

slight amendment

Good Intentions was also played.. at the end of Touch Me part 2.. being that Good Intentions is only 6 seconds, I understand why its not included, but the nerd in me says its on the track listing of the album.. ere go, it deserves to be in the setlist..

i havent been on here in a year or so.. :susel:

great show, really happy i made it in, nice to see a few people from the board as well

i bought the new album at the show and have been listening to it a few times since the show and I dig it...its super different than anything they'vew done before but I like the tune Librarian...sweet

Time to write down some of my thoughts from the show on Monday night.

First of all, let it be known that I still don't love MMJ. I like them, and love some of their songs, but something is lacking for me. I guess I really need the jam if I don't like the majority of a bands catalogue.

I really think MMJ is an arena band. Their sound is so big that it just doesn't fit a club space. I know they are not big enough for it yet, but it looks like that time will probably come.

Maybe I am getting old, but I found the show to be way too loud, to the point where it was painful. I had to camp out at the back of the venue to tolerate it. Time for earplugs at shows methinks.

One Big Holiday is just flat-out awesome. I LOVE that song, and for me, it stands head and shoulders above any other MMJ tune.

Before the show started, out in the smoking pen, fluffhead77 got into an epic argument with a stranger. The topic? You may have guessed - Phish vs. The Grateful Dead... AT AN MMJ show.

It was hilarious, and I stood back to take it all in, along with this stranger's buddy, who was watching with his jaw on the floor. Dunn, you slay me.

All in all, I still gotta say that I am not sold on MMJ. I would love to see a "special" show where they lay down a bunch of covers, because their catalogue alone does not wow me. Still glad I went.

I liked the show, but I found it was a little lacking (probably due to the fact they were comming off a huge high from Bonnarro)

The sound was way too loud, like Basher said it really hurt my ears.

There wasn't any flow to the setlist and I found that I couldn't find a comfortable place to take in the show.

The show did have great moments, some great peaks, but the energy was not always there.

It was fun to hear some great tunes though, and it was great to see some familiar faces!

my recording is available:

http://www.davecaley.com/blog or

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-06-16.mc930.sd702.flac16

My Morning Jacket

June 16, 2008

Kool Haus

Toronto, ON

Source: BeyerDynamics MC930 > Sound Devices 702

Record Format: 24-bit, 48 kHz

Transfer: CF Card > CompactDrive > PC

Edit: Adobe Audition v1.5 (fades, +10dB); CDWave v1.94.4 (tracking)

Final Format: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz

Generation: WAV [24-bit, 48kHz] > WAV [16-bit, 44.1kHz] > FLAC v1.2.1

Taper: Dave Caley (dave@davecaley.com)

Edited by Guest

I really think MMJ is an arena band. Their sound is so big that it just doesn't fit a club space. I know they are not big enough for it yet, but it looks like that time will probably come.

Maybe I am getting old, but I found the show to be way too loud, to the point where it was painful. I had to camp out at the back of the venue to tolerate it. Time for earplugs at shows methinks.

Dude I couldnt disagree more with the big venue call.. das koolen haus was/is the perfect size for them.. it was a phenominal show.. one of the highlights was Steam Engine.. i wasnt the biggest fan of it before they ripped the roof off the haus.

And unless you want to be a spokesman for Listen Up Canada.. ear plugs are a definet must..

ill post some pictures in a bit...

Very.

I was at the front for the opening Evil Urges and had to run away at the end of it. You would have seen me join Lynn, Matty/Maggie during I'm Amazed, and it was still loud in front of the soundboard but nowhere near the front. That may have been the show to tip the scale towards ear plugs.