Jambands.ca

CAKE RETURNS

kookycanooky

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What didn't you like Brad?

Its location, for one thing, which seemed to have zero public transport access, and no chance of getting a cab afterwards.

The sell on the site had me drooling with the descriptions of sound and site lines and sound and sound.

In front of the board, the sight lines are OK (not stellar, but acceptable), but behind the board, forget it. They had several video screens around the venue for the Ween show, but in a room of that size, I want to be able to see the band, not its image on a screen.

As for the sound, for Ween it was OK, at best. If Sound Academy weren't down in the docks, and were located somewhere more accessible (as the Opera House is), I might be tempted, but for me, the "points against" count is higher than the "points for" count for this show. (As well, the Montreal show is a weekend one, and Montreal is closer to Ottawa than Toronto is, both of which make the Montreal show more attractive for me. Your mileage may vary, however.)

Aloha,

Brad

Sight lines there SUCK!!!! Unless you're in the first, fucking crowded as fuck, 13 rows forget about sight lines...if you're a short girl, forget about it completely.

Sound is awesome....unless you've been chased to the back by the crowdedness, in which case the sound sucks too.....and if you've been chased to the back of the room by the crowdedness you will notice the dropped ceiling half way back giving you a 3 foot window between the ceiling and the people's heads in front of you by which to see the band (if you're tall enough in the first place) OH, and if the crowdedness don't get ya, the insane drink lines will. they're situated horribly at the side of the room and the crowd watching the show will push its way right up to the bar so you'll actually be fighting people that don't even want beer to get your beer.

Other than that, its a great place to see a show.

Sight lines there SUCK!!!! Unless you're in the first, fucking crowded as fuck, 13 rows forget about sight lines...if you're a short girl, forget about it completely.

Sound is awesome....unless you've been chased to the back by the crowdedness, in which case the sound sucks too.....and if you've been chased to the back of the room by the crowdedness you will notice the dropped ceiling half way back giving you a 3 foot window between the ceiling and the people's heads in front of you by which to see the band (if you're tall enough in the first place) OH, and if the crowdedness don't get ya, the insane drink lines will. they're situated horribly at the side of the room and the crowd watching the show will push its way right up to the bar so you'll actually be fighting people that don't even want beer to get your beer.

Other than that, its a great place to see a show.

Except that there's nothing else around it, for either pre-show meet-ups or post-show chill-outs. Again, Metropolis in Montreal (or The Opera House in Toronto) is a lot better in this regard.

Aloha,

Brad

On the other hand, when WSP plays there it won't sell out and will be infinitely more enjoyable.

And thus Schwa.'s ulterior motive for dissing Sound Academy so hard is revealed: he wants to dissuade people from going there to reduce the attendance to the point where he can get up close without being crowded and easily get through the bar line-ups.

Nicely played. ;)

Aloha,

Brad

In the summer the whole patio area is open. There is a pretty big bar there.

last time i was there they were playing canned music rather than piping the live music inside through the sound system.

i'm with schwa, the sound docks academy is not the ideal place to see the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...