Jambands.ca

Is MMJ the new Slip?

Schwa.

Brad and Andrew Barr were both at MMJ last night, and Jim James thanked Brad from the stage (something about Brad helping out MMJ's other guitarist; a gear loan, maybe?).

Aloha,

Brad

They forgot their earplugs at a restaurant and brad biked back and got them.

BTW, am i the only person in Jambands.ca land that doesn't like this band?

Not as long as I'm around here. I really don't get MMJ. I've tried listening to them a few times - I've streamed live performances and can't stand more than a few minutes. I don't know what it is. I was listening to a review of their new album on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday. Based on the description of the band (big Neil Young influence, southern rock, jamming in the lines of the GD and Phish...) and the review of the album, I would have expected to really dig these guys. Then they played bits of several tracks and I really didn't like anything at all that I heard. I find Jim James' voice irritating and I really didn't like the music being played behind him, but I don't know why exactly. My favourite jamband since the demise of the Dead is Widespread Panic, so I dig "southern rock" and that guitar sound. But that's not what I hear in MMJ. I have no explanation except that my ears don't like what they are hearing.

BTW' date=' am i the only person in Jambands.ca land that doesn't like this band?[/quote']

Not as long as I'm around here. I really don't get MMJ. I've tried listening to them a few times - I've streamed live performances and can't stand more than a few minutes. I don't know what it is. I was listening to a review of their new album on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday. Based on the description of the band (big Neil Young influence, southern rock, jamming in the lines of the GD and Phish...) and the review of the album, I would have expected to really dig these guys. Then they played bits of several tracks and I really didn't like anything at all that I heard. I find Jim James' voice irritating and I really didn't like the music being played behind him, but I don't know why exactly. My favourite jamband since the demise of the Dead is Widespread Panic, so I dig "southern rock" and that guitar sound. But that's not what I hear in MMJ. I have no explanation except that my ears don't like what they are hearing.

Same thing here BWM...only substitute Umphrey's in there for WSP. I've given them the benefit of my friends opinions and investigated to about the same degree as you. Just don't "get it" i guess.

Also, why the fuck do people like Bright Eyes?!?!?! Dude is HORRIBLE!

Based on the description of the band (big Neil Young influence, southern rock, jamming in the lines of the GD and Phish...)

there isn't any real 'jamming' in their music - extended guitar solos sometimes sure, but if you're looking for a JAM band, MMJ isn't one.

sorry you don't like them. Oh well. if everyone liked them it would be hard for me to get tickets, so I guess it's a good thing in a way. :)

Same thing here BWM...only substitute Umphrey's in there for WSP. I've given them the benefit of my friends opinions and investigated to about the same degree as you. Just don't "get it" i guess.

I wouldn't say that Umphrey's has a southern rock guitar sound. Do you just mean they are your favourite since the Dead?

I haven't really given them much of a chance but, at this point, I am not a fan of MMJ. I like The Slip much better. I plan to give MMJ more listens before giving up on them.

Brad and Andrew Barr were both at MMJ last night' date=' and Jim James thanked Brad from the stage (something about Brad helping out MMJ's other guitarist; a gear loan, maybe?).

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

They forgot their earplugs at a restaurant and brad biked back and got them.

Brad Barr is Jim James' bitch. But at least he can sing better.