Jambands.ca

Who drives a bus?

CyberHippie

My vision is a school bus that functions as a camper. I just have no idea what it would take to drive something like that? The vehicle is a school bus, but it's an RV, not so much a people mover.

To drive a bus you need a "C" license, to drive a school bus full of kids you need a "B" license, if there are no kids in it then a "C" works. Not sure about what you're talking about but you might need that "C" license to drive it because of the length.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/classes.htm

Shows all the different classes. It's not really clear though about lengths.

How much does the bus weigh? Because it states that a "G" will cover:

"Any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg."

I know my tractor alone weighs in at 19,000lbs and with an empty flatbed trailer behind her as well the total gross vehicle weight is roughly 30500 lbs.

according to the HWTA:

Length of vehicle

(6) Subject to section 110, no vehicle, other than a fire apparatus, a semi-trailer or a bus, including load, shall exceed the length of 12.5 metres while on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 109 (6).

I think it would be under or close to 12.5. It's also not considered a school bus if it is not painted chrome yellow with stop signs and school bus signs. Wiwi says a school bus weighs about 14,000 lbs which comes to about 6350 kilos.

I think I could make a good argument for a G license.

Edited by Guest

hey Trev

Is this bus/camper for your land near Bancroft?

A little piece of advice...look into what you can & cannot have according to the bylaws.

I had to get rid of the trailer on my land because in Haliburton Township it is against the bylaw to have a camper or bus parked on your property. I wasn't even able to keep it and use it for storage, etc.

Anyway...hope you are enjoying your land up there :thumbup:

No children, no air, all you need is a G.

I had a double decker school bus (3/4 length w/ a VW van body welded to the top) and because it got classified as a camper, I could drive it with my regular licence. It wasn't hard to drive, in fact I learned how to drive standard on that thing. Even drove it across Canada.

I had to get rid of the trailer on my land because in Haliburton Township it is against the bylaw to have a camper or bus parked on your property.

That is ridiculous! I can't believe it. Did someone see it and report you or something?

Pretty sure trailers are allowed, but I guess I should look into it. I'm not even sure where to look that up... hmmmm...

^^^^

worth checking out. I found out that in Oakville it is the same thing. We had a pop-ut-trailer-camper stored in my driveway for a few years and was never a problem, but it was small and at the side of the house. Guess we didn't have any nasty neighbours ... but that's all it takes.

No children' date=' no air, all you need is a G.[/quote']

I had a double decker school bus (3/4 length w/ a VW van body welded to the top) and because it got classified as a camper, I could drive it with my regular licence. It wasn't hard to drive, in fact I learned how to drive standard on that thing. Even drove it across Canada.

Sounds cool! You got any pictures?

looks cool Trev

That is ridiculous! I can't believe it. Did someone see it and report you or something?

you got it!

last summer was no problem because of all the leaves on the trees, but in March I got a letter from the Municipality of Highlands East. They informed me that someone complained and i had until May 15th to get rid of it or face legal action.

Oh well, more motivation to get a cabin built!

Crap:

"The Township zoning by-law does not permit the use of “mobile†units e.g. trailers, converted buses etc. to be used as residential units without a zoning by-law amendment."

That doesn't sound good... Although my road is private and gated, and I have three neighbors. One is parking two large trailers, and another is parking a Westy for summers. So I guess I'd be taking a chance, but if no one complains.... hmmm....

i wonder if you parked it in a tent-garage if it would still be considered "outside" on your property, or if it would be considered in a garage. surely they can't tell you what you can put in your garage.

Copy%20(2)%20of%20Copy%20of%20Buildi1.jpg

you have to have a house/cottage on your land to be able to get away with parking a trailer/bus, etc.

Or you can take it up for the weekend and then leave with it again.

That portable garage would be considered a tent I think. Not a problem having it there without the trailer/bus, but without a cottage you'd still be breaking the bylaw.