Jambands.ca

Return to Forever

bouche

Return to Forever is a hot topic with everyone I know concerning Jazzfest. I honestly had never heard of them before and I think everyone assumed that I knew who was in the band. But I didn't until tonight.

what a lineup!

Chick Corea

Stanley Clarke

Al Di Meola

Lenny White

I'm doing my required YouTube research right now while my potato bakes and the coals get ready for my chicken.

I think everyone assumed that I knew who was in the band.

You're right' date=' I did make that assumption. What I did not assume was that you would set me up with complimentary passes. Awesome buddy! [/quote']

You can thank ms.hux. She handed them to me to hand out.

I think everyone assumed that I knew who was in the band.

You're right' date=' I did make that assumption. What I did not assume was that you would set me up with complimentary passes. Awesome buddy! [/quote']

You can thank ms.hux. She handed them to me to hand out.

so....where's mine? :content:

And I assume that you've come across this by now....RTF were one of the first jazz-rock fusion bands. I only own the first album, which doesn't feature any guitar. That band included Airto Moreira (which you may be familiar with through his work with Mickey Hart and sitting in on ocassion with the Grateful Dead) and his wife Flora Purim. Stanley Clarke and Chick are the two constants in RTF.

I'm very excited to see them.

don't be like that ollie

Just trying to raise awareness. :)

Scientology as artistic inspiration

Under the "special thanks" notes' date=' found in all of his later albums, Corea mentions that the author L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Scientology movement, has been a continual source of inspiration. In 1968 Corea discovered Dianetics, Hubbard's principal work, and in the early 1970s developed an interest in Hubbard's science fiction novels. The two exchanged letters until Hubbard's death in 1986, and Corea even did some work on music Hubbard had written, noting, "[Hubbard'] was a great composer and keyboard player as well. He did many, many things. He was a true Renaissance Man."[1]

Scientology became a profound influence on Corea's musical direction in the early 1970s.

I no longer wanted to satisfy myself. I really want to connect with the world and make my music mean something to people. (Down Beat, October 21, 1976, p.47)

Corea created some of his Return to Forever compositions in collaboration with Neville Potter, a friend whom he had met through Scientology. Some of the other members of Return to Forever also took Scientology courses, and the name Return to Forever itself was, in Corea's words, "definitely influenced by the Hubbard's philosophy of the spirit. [...] It sort of nailed the spiritual intent of the music, [that it should] be pure."[cite this quote]

Many of his songs contain explicit references to Scientology and various works by Hubbard. For example, "What Games Shall We Play Today?" refers to the philosophical concept in Scientology that life consists of "games" in which the objective is to extract joy and satisfaction. His 2004 album To the Stars is a tone poem based on Hubbard's science fiction novel of the same name. His latest album, The Ultimate Adventure, is also based on a Hubbard novel.

In 1998 Chick Corea and fellow entertainers Anne Archer, Isaac Hayes, and Haywood Nelson attended the 30th anniversary of Freedom Magazine, the Church of Scientology's investigative news journal, at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, to honor 11 human rights activists.[3]

Not all musicians he has collaborated with have been content with his views. Reportedly, Joe Farrell once told him not to "lay that Scientology shit" on him.[4]

In addition, it is speculated that Stanley Clarke's leaving of Scientology led to the breakup of Return to Forever.[5]

Corea also appears in the Scientology film Orientation, giving a testimonial on how Scientology has helped him.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg