Jambands.ca

Bluesfest has begun

bagochips

a tip about beer lines: last night, during TV on the radio and the hip, the line ups to the right of the main stage were really long, but there were no line ups to the left of the main stage. it could have been just a fluke of last night but it could also be helpful to know!

Even the beer tent to the right of the main stage (facing it) had incredibly different line lengths depending if you were toward the right or left when facing the tent. (Confused?)

Anyway, it pays to do a little hunting around vs. standing in a monstrously long line.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa.

I thought the sound last night was great! For once I could hear every word Gord screamed. And as for his voice being raspy - well, did anyone else hear those primal screams he was letting loose throughout the first three songs? He obviously blew his voice out, but man, it was great while it lasted! And the raspiness gave him a bluesy feel.

Nobody has mentioned how great Bobby Baker was last night. I've seen lots of Hip shows where he has only taken one or two solos, and one show he played zero solos. Last night he was blazing, and for once Gordie forsook his usual ramblings and danced with his mic stand and let Bobby burn.

Tonight I'll get around more, but so far any changes I've seen have been improvements.

So that was fun. Turns out I just took my now 14 year old niece to her first ever rock concert. Corb Lund, Sean Kingston and Feist!

She and her little friend had a great time had a great time at Sean Kingston (Sean Kingston! Sean Kingston!) and an even better time at Feist. I enjoyed the Feist show way more than I expected and surprised myself by how many of her songs I recognized. Now she wants me to take her to Sean Paul, but I doubt her parents will approve that one...

I managed to continue my streak of missing Wintersleep at every festival I attend against all good intentions, including standing in front of the stage right at the time they were supposed to perform. Alas.

Corb Lund was enthusiastic. Sonny Landreth was determined. Dave Bidini was awesome. Baobab was eclectic. Alan Touissant was moving. And Feist was spectacular.

P.S. They ran out of Creemore by 8:30.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!! F THAT.

I think the secret got out. Anyone who saw my Creemore asked me where I got it. It was like that Motts Clamato commercial.

Back for more soon. STEELY DAN MOTHERFUCKERS~!

I was at Bluesfest for 9 hours today and there wasn't one second that I wasn't having a great time.

People were in great, kind spirits, the music was terrific and they had Creemore all day and night (so did I).

The organizers should be proud this year. Don't change a single thing for next year!

The biggest surprise of my day was the one band I swore I didn't want to see. Zappa does Zappa ruled my world. Total entertainment. I loved it. (No one's more surprised than me).

STEELY DAN!! SHOWBIZ KIDS! PARKER'S BAND! KID CHARLEMAGNE!

I think this is everything they played, setlist is not in the proper order though but close.

The Fez jam

The Royal Scam

I Got The News

Two Versus Nature

Showbiz Kids

Hey 19

Gaucho

Parker's Band

Do It Again

Home At Last

Josie

Black Friday

Peg

FM

E: Kid Charlemagne

Adrian Belew Trio was awesome too. Ladytron were very good.

Sorry we didn't run into you yesterday Ollie. How the heck did that happen?

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe because we did less wandering yesterday and spent most of our time up close watching whole sets. We were camped out at the Steely stage about 45 minutes prior to show time.

Punk found us towards the end of the set and we were able to share some special moments together with the Dan. Aww.

6 pm beer purchase

me: i'll have a creemore

them: we ran out. if you want creemore be here by six

me: you should stock more creemore

them: yeah, we've been running out

that's weird! we didn't arrive til about 7 and we got creemores. they ran out after that so we got heinekens [still $7 but not a tallboy], then they ran out of heinekens.

i too was happily surprised at how much i enjoyed the zappa show, considering i only know a smattering of songs [and they didn't play any of those]. good times. :)