Bluesfest has begun

bagochips

6 pm beer purchase

me: i'll have a creemore

them: we ran out. if you want creemore be here by six

me: you should stock more creemore

them: yeah' date=' we've been running out

[/quote']

that's weird! we didn't arrive til about 7 and we got creemores. they ran out after that so we got heinekens [still $7 but not a tallboy], then they ran out of heinekens.

i too was happily surprised at how much i enjoyed the zappa show, considering i only know a smattering of songs [and they didn't play any of those]. good times. :)

Joe's Garage....yeah!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught the last 40 minutes of Lucinda - she sounded great. The wife couldn't get into Adrian Belew, (although she liked his sped up version of Big Electric Cat). She would have been much happier catching Lucinda instead we realized. We set up for Steely Dan around 8:50 - it was packed. ended up about 30 feet behind the soundboard. I snuck out to catch some Zappa and Richard Thompson. It was just him on acoustic and he had trouble competing with the bleed from the River stage, in particular. Man, he was great. He's one of those guys that I've heard tons of great things about, but had never seen him, nor do I have any of his music. He's somebody I definitely want to catch again. And the ZPZ that I caught also sounded great.

anyways....tonight it's PANIC!!!

so, big mistake scheduling Panic last eh? and for scheduling the Wailers at the Roots stage.

Fuck Primus was awesome. Best show of the festival so far.

Snoop would have been a better finisher attendance-wise but imagine the stabbings. That was my first metal detector swipe at Bluesfest.

Sucks for the fest and band but I loved the lax crowd at Panic. Best "experience" of the fest so far. My first exposure to the band too. I was digging them by the end.

I loved Primus except for some of the jamming. American Life was brutal but everything else was great. Harold of the Rocks extro guitar solo to puncuate the blues was killer.

Snoop Dogg was a colossal joke.

It was coming into the main gate near the museum around 5:30pm, there was a big bottle neck because everyone was getting swiped. Maybe the other main gate was exempt, or they stopped after Snoop? In any case, everyone got checked.

Snoop was fucking outstanding. Out-fuckingstanding. And then Primus killed the white-boy stoners with their darkness. My mind was ablaze with its sickness. Ask William, he saw me as it was all going down. Awesome billing, thank you whoever did that.

I really enjoyed the Jimmy Herring Experience afterwards, much more than I would have ever guessed.

so, big mistake scheduling Panic last eh?

Based on the fact that they havent played in Canada in a long time (aside from last night?) I am willing to bet that band is quite pleased with the audience they got to perform to. During Snoop's set I realized most of that crowd wasnt going to be there later, especially since it was a Sunday night.

Are there any others artists I should check out tonight?

Go and see BETTY LAVETTE!!

http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/en/index.php?page=scheduled_performer_list&performer_id_req=459

Her last album is FANTASTIC and has none other than the Drive-By Truckers as her backing band (she recorded with Patterson Hood's father in Muscle Shoals back in the day).

She is an amazing story. Check out her website and you can get some sound samples and more info:

http://www.bettyelavette.com/

If you go, i'd love to hear how her set was.

Edited by Guest

Are there any others artists I should check out tonight?

Go and see BETTY LAVETTE!!

http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/en/index.php?page=scheduled_performer_list&performer_id_req=459

Her last album is FANTASTIC and has none other than the Drive-By Truckers as her backing band (she recorded with Patterson Hood's father in Muscle Shoals back in the day).

She is an amazing story. Check out her website and you can get some sound samples and more info:

http://www.bettyelavette.com/

If you go' date=' i'd love to hear how her set was. [/quote']

I'll try to take in her set. Thanks, KK. :thumbup:

Aloha,

Brad

Bluesfest is the best time. Primus was down right scary. We split our time between Panic and the wailers. Both were awesome. The lead singer of the wailers' voice was amazing. Close your eyes and Bob was on stage.

Snoop was ok, provided the highlight of the night with the "that's that white boy shit, pass that up Coz,..." that was a honkin spliff.

Highlight of the day so far, three fish this morning, two crappie's and a pike in the muskrat river.

Maybe going to check out that one guy in the theater tonight. That should be cool.

It was coming into the main gate near the museum around 5:30pm, there was a big bottle neck because everyone was getting swiped. Maybe the other main gate was exempt, or they stopped after Snoop? In any case, everyone got checked.

we got there around the same time. everybody was being swiped. we decided to enter the war museum and head straight for the black sheep stage, but encountered the metal detectors over there as well. They even wanded my 5 year old.

Panic should have been on the River stage. It may been the size of their rig that necessitated the main stage. But it was nice having all that room. we set up right in front of the board, and my wife and I took turns getting closer to the stage. I easily ended up on the rail during the chilly water.

i re-arrived at the site around 5:30 / 5:40 and didn't get swiped going to the Black Sheep Stage, neither did anyone in the crowd I went in with. Perhaps by the time we got there they realised it was pointless.