Jambands.ca

Pics from Hop Farm Festival (Neil Young, MMJ)

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Neil Young

Hop Farm Festival, July 6th, 2008

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / I've Been Waiting For You / Spirit Road / Fuckin' Up / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Words / No Hidden Path (25 minutes long) // A Day In The Life

p5091881mi4.jpg

p5091861nm7.jpg

My Morning Jacket

Golden

Thank You Too

Evil Urges

Gideon

Off The Record

Smokin From Shooting

Woldless Chorus

Anytime

One Big Holiday

p5091837by0.jpg

p5091831qw5.jpg

Guest Low Roller

I made my way right up to the front from the start.... It's been a long time since I attempted anything of the sort. My legs are still hurting me from standing in a crowd for over 9 hours, of which 2 were spent fighting off drunk moshers during the Supergrass and Primal Scream sets.

Druken Brits proved, yet again, that it don't take much for them to act like total assholes.

But I stood my ground so that I could experience Neil from about 15 yards away... Here's a view of the crowd behind me:

p5091844me1.jpg

Guest Low Roller

MMJ weren't given enough time (45 minutes) to play a full set, plus they were fighting unfamiliarity with the crowd who didn't know them all that well. By the time the crowd was amped up, the MMJ set was over.

But just like every other time I saw MMJ, they were spot on. Although the Golden intro could be considered a little sloppy if I was picky.

The Neil Young experience was something else. I think it was during Heart of Gold that I was overcome with joy that I was able to see this legend live. Although the last tune took 25 minutes and seemed to drag on a little, it was hard to argue with Neil.

Guest Low Roller
How did you pee?

I didn't. I made sure not to drink anything over the entire day. That cider I stashed away on the bus on the way there was certainly tasty when I got back on after the gig.

Guest Low Roller

Here's Supergrass:

p5091845vm9.jpg

p5091846lq4.jpg

And Primal Scream:

p5091852zw5.jpg

I didn't spend much time taking pictures of these bands, or even enjoying them, as I was fighting for my spot during both sets because of previously aforementioned drunken chavs.

They all left before Neil Young and the remaining crowd was perfectly chilled out to my sheer delight.

How did you pee?

I didn't. I made sure not to drink anything over the entire day. That cider I stashed away on the bus on the way there was certainly tasty when I got back on after the gig.

I would lose the mental battle of "I think I gotta pee".

Guest Low Roller

Some video is up of the Hop Farm Festival... The dude that recorded these Neil Young clips must have been standing right next to me. Compare the angle of my first picture to these videos.... Sweet.

Everbody Knows This Is Nowhere

I've Been Waiting For You

Spirit Road

Looks like a great festie, but a shame to hear about the crowd. Hope it's not always like that at shows, though i admit that's pretty much in line with my prejudices on Brits at public events (or in public in general).

I'm considering hitting the End of the Road Festivalin Dorset, UK in September, which bills itself as a progressive, alternative festie. don't know if that suggests there'll be better crowds or not.

Lineup has Calexico, Mercury Rev, Dirty Three, Bright Eyes, Sun Kil Moon, Akron/Family, etc. over 2 days.