Jambands.ca

Black Crowes @ Massey Hall tonight

deranger

I don't keep track of set lists during shows though I'm sure someone will post one. Standouts for me were Let Me Share the Ride and Halfway to Everywhere (plus awesome blues jam) from Three Snakes and One Charm. Whoa Mule off the new album was a nice surprise. And generally the new material sounded great. It was also a really cool balance between new material, and older songs that weren't just the hits. I was getting really tired of Crowes shows that were nothing but hits off certain records, and then maybe some covers. They seemed to be staying away from their more overplayed songs, which made for a way more interesting and entertaining show.

Though overall I thought Luther fit in really well (as well as the new keys player who was really solid) it was during songs like Wiser Time and Gone that you really felt the missing presence of Marc Ford, especially on the his first solo in Wiser Time. The amazing soloing lyricism and sound of Marc was just simply missing from the songs he left such an imprint on. Having said that, it also seemed like the brothers Robinson gave Luther more room to play slide over top of parts of songs that they might not have otherwise let Marc or Audley or Paul Stacy play over. And unfortunately, there did not seem to be the same near telepathic chemistry between Luther and Rich that existed between Marc and Rich.

Covers; Rich sand lead on an amazing Quinn the Eskimo, I had no idea they even played that song but since Girl from a North Country popped up on a recent setlist, I suppose they're mining the Dylan catalog a bit heavier. And the final encore was Don't Do It by the band.

All in all, a great show and a pretty decent crowd. They sounded fresh, and definitely seem to have gained some new energy with the new members.

Thanks J. I am also capturing the stream from wmvyradio.com of the Ottawa Bluesfest show. As soon as I track it, I'll upload that to ss and post in this thread.

Also all signs point to another round of shows for the fall (with Ottawa being rumored already- which won't surprise anyone at the BF show, as Chris and crew were obviously impressed by the outstanding crowd reaction they were getting).

S

Sarnia show last friday was damn sweet, real bluesy, exactly what I was hoping for. Bummed I missed the Toronto show, but our driver was in no shape to drive from Sarnia. Great to hear it was a smokin show in Toronto. Hopefully we'll see some recordings hit BT soon.

Also all signs point to another round of shows for the fall (with Ottawa being rumored already- which won't surprise anyone at the BF show, as Chris and crew were obviously impressed by the outstanding crowd reaction they were getting).

S

i'd like to get more details on this. i checked out their tourdates and there are only 3 breaks where a show here would make sense. they are booked fairly solid from now until december 20.

hope it happens!

Chez 106 says that they posted the page I had viewed in error- that they have received a rumour that the Crowes will be announcing a show in Ottawa sometime in Oct/ Nov. The post I viewed said the show would take place then, but most likely its going to be Feb or Mar.

That being said, anyone up for Higher Ground Oct 20/21?

S