Jambands.ca

The Concert hall?

fluffhead77

the masonic temple is where Mike Bullard used to do 'comedy'

which is now the MTV canada building, and right across from the canadian tire.

im sure im wrong about this, but wasnt it on bloor between st.george and spadina? its a sports feild, and i knkow taht sounds crazy, but there's part of me that thinks it was there.

It's on Yonge at Davenport.

Davenport is north of Bloor, just past the Reference Library. When Church St. hits Bloor, it starts to curve around west and hits Yonge a few blocks up, where it turns into Davenport. And yeah, there's a big Canadian Tire just across the street from the Masonic Temple.

yup - remember it well...right across from that Crappy T - probably saw my first 20 concerts there in the early 90's, except they were all heavier shows - Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Rollins Band/Alice in Chains/Screaming Trees/GWAR were all in 92...I think 92 or 93 there was some weird riot going on when I was in line for Soundgarden..I remember the cops coming down the street saying there was people with guns and a big crowd and they were clearing the area...we all went and hid in that Canadian Tire, peering out the windows!

im sure im wrong about this, but wasnt it on bloor between st.george and spadina? its a sports feild, and i knkow taht sounds crazy, but there's part of me that thinks it was there.

that woulda been varsity arena methinks.

- probably saw my first 20 concerts there in the early 90's, except they were all heavier shows - Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Rollins Band/Alice in Chains/Screaming Trees/GWAR were all in 92..

Probably ran(or moshed ) into you many times... Those were all in my first shows as well.... I'll add Fishbone, Primus, Bad Religion, Sonic Youth, Body Count as some other memorable times there.

Old(er) Toronto fogies, please to confirm or deny this random pseudo-fact that is swimming around in my brain: the building on the north-west corner of Yonge and Davenport (Masonic Temple, Concert Hall, etc) was once the Rockpile, where Led Zeppelin made their Toronto debut in 1969. What say youse?

Yup, that's one and the same. I wasn't there, but I have met a couple of folks who were.

The Rockpile also had a local TV show which was later parodied by the greats at SCTV "Mel's Rock Pile"

saw a couple of great Phish shows there in '93. The one in August was like being in an oven. There was sweat dripping down the walls (and that wasn't psychedilically induced either) ;)

the "spring show was so hot that when the August show was switched to the concert hall from Harbourfront, I decided to pass on the show and I got a refund from TM. The April show was my first one.

I saw lots of great music there, including:

dylan,

violent femmes

steve earle

buddy guy

phish

john mayall

robert cray

los lobos

ramones (i think my first show there in 1982)

Yea, it sucked that they moved that show. The Harbourfront stage would have been amazing. I remember getting pissed off that they wouldn't let me out to cross the street to make a phone call (there were no pay phones in the venue at all). Needed some fucking oxygen to survive that one. I remember the move being caused by the fact they couldn't get their lighting gear up at Harbourfront or something??

I remember the move being caused by the fact they couldn't get their lighting gear up at Harbourfront or something??

That's the story that I heard at the time. And we had great reserved seats for that show taboot.

Yeah, I had great reserved seats too: second row, centre stage! I only found out about the venue switch the day before the show when I went to ticketmaster to ask where this Harbourfront venue was and how to get there. Probably the hottest show I have ever been at in my life. I can also remember the walls sweating. Disgusting. Still... a damn good performance!