Jambands.ca

Barenaked Ladies Stephen Page Drug Charge in NY

bouche

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2008/07/15/barenaked-charged.html

Steven Page, along with two women, were arrested after police found cocaine and marijuana in a Fayetteville, N.Y., apartment.

Page and one of the women were apparently arrested Friday after police discovered a car with an open door in the driveway of a home. While they were investigating the vehicle, officers observed a man and a woman sitting at a kitchen table with a white capsule inside an apartment.

would this affect them playing in the states, or are they rich and famous enough to not worry about that?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Page and one of the women were apparently arrested Friday after police discovered a car with an open door in the driveway of a home

So is he charged with one count of being in a jurisdiction where cops have too much time on their hands?

yeah, i thot this was odd too. perhaps there it's a crime to leave your car door open, or at least "reasonable cause" to bust into a private residence.

That sucks, no mention of weight of either drug- so I am guessing it was a 'personal' amount. I guess live and learn, but they were inside a private residence so the cops were not serving the public in any capacity by making this arrest.

And if you know the backwoods of NY, the car doors rarely close- as most of them are beat up so bad they can't close the doors or park them straight.

Still I find this a bit sad, he splits with his wife- probably went to visit some old fans (Syracuse is a hotbed of BNL love) and got nailed. I am sure it will come out that nothing was 'his' and just happened to be the famous name in the kitchen.

Tisk Tisk Stephen.......

S

more details

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/461034

Page was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance. If convicted, according to New York law, he could face a maximum of 15 years imprisonment on a 4th degree, class C felony crime.

Yeah, they always post the maximum sentence in articles like these, but rock star or not nobody ever gets anything close to the maximum sentence for a charge like this on a first offence. I don't know the laws of New York State very well, but I'd be surprised if he does any time at all.

did you read it? quote:

The car in the driveway at 2:04 a.m. Friday was what brought police attention to 311 E. Genesee St., said Capt. Bill Bleyle of the Manlius Police Department. The car was across the sidewalk, its door was open and no one was around, he said.

As they were investigating the car, the officers observed suspicious behavior in the kitchen, Bleyle said. He declined to specify other than saying the officers "happened upon a plain-view discovery of illegal activity."

The officers knocked on the door of the apartment and inquired about the car across the sidewalk, "at which time Stephanie stated, 'Yeah, come on in,'¤" court records state.

Inside, police found a kitchen table with a plastic bottle labeled calcium, white powder in capsules and white powder on the table, court records state.

Police quizzed Page on the powder.

"Ofc. Stanton asked Steven if he was sure that the powder he was snorting was calcium because it was testing positive for cocaine at which time Steven responded, 'Yeah, it's cocaine,'¤" court documents state.

Read the article phorbesie linked to:

The car in the driveway at 2:04 a.m. Friday was what brought police attention to 311 E. Genesee St., said Capt. Bill Bleyle of the Manlius Police Department. The car was across the sidewalk, its door was open and no one was around, he said.

As they were investigating the car, the officers observed suspicious behavior in the kitchen, Bleyle said. He declined to specify other than saying the officers "happened upon a plain-view discovery of illegal activity."

The officers knocked on the door of the apartment and inquired about the car across the sidewalk, "at which time Stephanie stated, 'Yeah, come on in,'¤" court records state.

Inside, police found a kitchen table with a plastic bottle labeled calcium, white powder in capsules and white powder on the table, court records state.

Police quizzed Page on the powder.

"Ofc. Stanton asked Steven if he was sure that the powder he was snorting was calcium because it was testing positive for cocaine at which time Steven responded, 'Yeah, it's cocaine,'¤" court documents state.

Since they were invited in, they didn't need probable cause or a warrant, and since what they observed in the apartment was in plain view (as opposed to something they needed to search to find), the privacy of those in the apartment wasn't violated.

Aloha,

Brad

"Come on in" to cops tosses a ton of your rights right out the window. You can say "no" and they would then have to go and retrieve a warrant. At 2am that could have taken some time and Stephen could have finished off his rails by then :P

The officers knocked on the door of the apartment and inquired about the car across the sidewalk' date=' "at which time Stephanie stated, 'Yeah, come on in,'¤" court records state.[/quote']

"Come on in" to cops tosses a ton of your rights right out the window. You can say "no" and they would then have to go and retrieve a warrant. At 2am that could have taken some time and Stephen could have finished off his rails by then :P

Assuming the cops aren't lying or making up false reports, anyway. Who the hell says, "Come on in!" to the cops when they've got a pile of drugs out in plain view? I mean, I know some people are pretty stupid, but that would be *really* stupid.

I liked these responses to the article from Syracuse.com:

"Thats funny, his girl was hitting on me the other night too.. Christine... Yup that was her...

This poor guy needs a better girlfriend.... no wonder he's a cokehead, his girl likes geeks like me....

On a more personal note, his music sucks...."

-------------------------------------------------

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!

- Blocking the sidewalk and creating a suspicious situation : FAIL

- Doing illegal drugs in plain view : FAIL

- Inviting the cops in : FAIL

- Admitting it was cocaine and incriminating yourself : FAIL

We'll see how long it takes him to appear in an anti-drug infomercial if he wants to keep touring the US.

And the Drug War rolls on..."

---------------------------------------------

"If the retarded girl wanted to break up with guy and see other people, she should have grown a backbone and told him. Not gone blatently hitting on other guys right in front of him to get her dump point across.

As it happens all too often, conflict erupts, because of childish little girl games, and this poor sap gets run all over.

Dump the girl in the diapers Page!!! These girls never learn, and are on to the next sucker before she leaves the last one(few).

Yeah, boys do this too..."

I liked these responses to the article from Syracuse.com:

Yup, there are some good ones in there. This one confused me though:

"Looks like the US Dollar has sunk so low in value these days, only Canadian dollars are good enough to snort coke with."

[color:purple]How the hell does Steve Page snort with a Canadian dollar?

loonie_reverse_view.png