Jambands.ca

Barenaked Ladies Stephen Page Drug Charge in NY

bouche

I got into those guys back when they were starting. In 89 they opened for a friend of mine that I was going to school with at Ryerson ( Arlene Bishop) Bob Snider was the other opener :) This was at the old Cabana Room in the Spadina Hotel. I thought that BNL were there to watch the show. They comprised the rest of the audience, other than me and 3 other people in my party. They were a ton of fun.

Ended up catching them every couple of weeks at the X-Ray, Horseshoe, Lee's, York U, Beer Tent at the Ex, and many other venues. They finally started using ticketmaster (1991 Bathurst St Theatre) and they were going maintstream. Great performers. I remember seeing them again when they were on HORDE and was pleasantly surprised at how good they still were live.

Ed Roberts writes CHEESE that's for sure (the last song i heard of his at least).

I miss "I'm In Love With A McDonald's Girl".

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here's my BNL story:

In my first year of university I lived in residence and my roommate was also a music major. He played piano and sax, I played guitar and bass. A guy on our floor loaned us a tape of his two friends from back home in Scarborough who called themselves the Barenaked Ladies. They were gigging as a duo and had made a 4-track demo of about fifteen songs (this was not the wonderful yellow hamburger tape that was to come). Anyway, me and my roommate (let's call him Ryan, 'cuz that was, and I suspect still is, his name) liked the tape, and even learned to play two or three of the songs together (one of which was an early version of $1,000,000).

So xmas break comes and goes and dude on our floor comes back and says he was talking with Ed and Steven and they had gotten a drummer and were looking for a bass player and a keyboardist. He told them about Ryan and I and they said to ask us if we wanted to come and audition for the band. We actually seriously considered it because we thought the demo was pretty cool, and of course the guy on our floor talked them up, but in the end we realized that if we got in we would have to drop out of university and here we were just halfway into our first year of a pretty cool music program, so we decided not to tryout for the band.

The day their debut cd Gordon was released it sold 300,000 copies in Canada alone. And that day after working late and rushing to the mall to buy a copy I sat in my room and listened to it twice in a row, staying up wayyy too late for my early summer job wakeup and revelling in the glory of how good the album was, especially (I might add) the unbelievable talents of the Creeggan brothers on bass and piano/congas. To be honest, for me the BNL took a big hit when Andy Creeggan left the band after their second cd, and even though I was a big Look People fan I never heard Kevin Hearn fill the void Andy left. Anyways, they added so much to the band that I have never felt bad about our decision not to audition for the band.

Anyways, that's my BNL story.

Okay, I have another, but I'm not a very strong typer.

my bnl story isn't really a bnl story, but an andy creegan story. it's a short crappy story. after he quit bnl he moved to ottawa (the glebe) for a year and went to Ottawa U for some classes. he lived next door to a girl i was dating and would have us over for drinks on his host's patio whenever he saw us. lots of good stories out of him. super funny guy and amazing musician.

Am I the only one who ever thought - hey, these guys might not be so bad if they just let the other guy (Ed?) sing more often?

Right there with you pal. I was never into the fluttery (vibrato?) styles of Stephen's voice, although he can really sing when push comes to shove. No Dead jokes please.

Okay, quickly then:

As mentioned, I'm a big fan of the Creeggan Brothers, and was delighted to find they were releasing cds of their own. I bought both and Andy's solo disc and loved them. I saw them play in Ottawa twice and this was back when I was booking shows so I tried (unsuccessfully) to book them a couple of times.

So I was at H.O.R.D.E. in Toronto and walking back from Gov't Mule stage I smoked a joint and upon putting it out I saw Jim and Andy Creeggan right in front of me (Andy was no longer in the band), and Jim was talking to a few younger BNL fans. I was pretty high, but I sauntered up. I turned to Andy and said I was a big fan. He looked at me and said something like, "Sure you are," I can't remember exactly, but I percieved that he was saying, "dude, you are too old to be a BNL fan, and you just want to talk to someone famous and I'm standing here with the bass player so you assume I'm in the band and why are you wasting my time like this?" My jaw dropped, and I was so flummoxed that instead of saying, "No Andy, I have Andiwork and the Brothers Creeggan cds and your mom even included a nice handwritten note with my cd order and didn't you go to Ottawa U.?", I just walked away.

I have a BNL story.........I sang with them.

Well, that may be a bit misleading but I did sing with them. When I worked on the Maple Leafs game crew the "O' Canada" singers and intermission "guests" used to share the room with us. So we were all hanging out in the room pre-game and BNL started practicing "O' Canada".....I joined in.