Jambands.ca

Jams

bouche

Being Scottish where everything is sweet my mom makes the best homemade strawberry jam on the planet. I'll give you a jar next time I see you. I actually happened by the Ottawa Market today and bought some really tasty Rhubard and Ginger jam that was amazing on a bagel with cream cheese for a nice snack this aft.....

What kind did you cook up?

Exactly what I was thinking BradM. I love that combo.

It works even better if you can also find green pepper jelly' date=' and whip up a mixed-colour platter.[/quote']

[color:purple]someone's spending a little too much time on the Martha Stewart channel ;)

Martha Stewart can lick the lint out of my belly button, collect it, and crochet doilies with it for all I care. I know about red vs. green pepper jelly from experience, a slightly mis-spent youth that included vacations with relatives from the USA who'd bring the jellies (which you couldn't seem to get in Southern Ontario in the 1970s), which would be crackered and cream-cheesed for the seemingly daily afternoon cocktail parties. I also learned how to properly pour a beer, mix a mean gin and tonic, shuffle a deck of cards, and play contract bridge. (Thanks, Dad.)

Aloha,

Brad

For the past few years I've been experimenting with substitutes for gelatin in jam. I used to use unripe apples which are loaded with pectin. When I no longer had an apple tree in my yard I had to find an alternative. I just discovered that the seaweed "Irish Moss" can serve as a thickening agent in jams and preserves. I bought some but I have yet to try it out.