Jambands.ca

what should i do with 10 grand?

I bet you could put on a killer Soulive show with ten grand.

Really digging this Idea! but I was talking to one of the old boys at the pub cause im starting to look in to invvesting and such now myself, and he said what really did him good and is still doing well is buying stocks in Manulife, I have yet to do it but that what the advice given to me

Buy Rite Aid stock, only 1.36 a share, 3rd largest drug store in the US. I've heard they're about to be bought out by walgreens. (just what i heard, don't get mad if it loses you money, haven't bought any yet myself.)

I plan on investing in a clean energy company. check out carbon sciences (CABN), pretty risky, but, to quote their site, "The initial application of our patent-pending technology is targeted at a multi-billion dollar market. We are developing a proprietary process to transform CO2 emissions into a high value chemical compound (PCC), currently used in the manufacture of paper, pharmaceuticals and plastics. Unlike existing methods of production, our process will be carbon neutral, use less energy and result in a lower cost product."

diagram_greencarbon_tech.jpg

Steelback Breweries, new manegment and a new brewmaster may = good beer. I hear their new honey brown is going to be pretty good. Screw green tech, with a recession coming (already here) more and more people will be drinking their financial troubles away.

The house idea's pretty good too. Buyer's market right now.

Buy a lifetime pass to a museum and a giant bag of shrooms.........

But reserve enough for the lifetime supply of absorbent undergarments.

Most kidding aside, first pay off any debts you have. Assuming there's a big chunk of the money left over from that, you might try splitting it into five equal portions, and buy a one-year GIC, a two-year GIC, a three-year GIC, a four-year GIC, and a five-year GIC. As each of them matures, either cash it in and whoop it up, or roll it over into a five-year GIC. This way, you'll have a guaranteed amount of money coming available every year, until you cash them in.

Aloha,

Brad

dropping all your $$ into one stock/company is a risky proposition if you don't really know what you're doing. If you have faith in the success of a particular sector, consider buying a few ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) which give you a cross-section of the companies active in a sector, but don't have all the fees inherent in mutual funds. Gives you more diversity without high maintenance costs.

That said, those who say pay off debts first are probably right at the moment. The economy has been so fucked up for the past year that there's really no such thing as a "safe bet" that'll yield anything decent (IMO). Paying off a debt that's accruing 6-7% interest for example, is probably going to be a bigger benefit in the long run. The only exception to that rule is student loans, since the interest is tax deductable, therefore not really a burden in the first place.