Jambands.ca

Lemonwheel 10 yr anny

darth_taiter

In my long life, one of the best gifts was a 15 disc set that the Rat from Cali sent me straight up, could u imagine a 3 day Phish show when you had never seen the band? Yeah, so after that weekend I had seen quite a few shows but let me go back... because that weekend I think they just played for hours at a time, at an Airforce base in Limesone Maine, where jets should have been flyin' ....all of a sudden the runway was overun with hippies and nitrous tanks, and there was no stoppin' them, we might have been 70.000 strong at the time, why would you sacrifice your spirit? Or what you are doing at the time? Yeah!! So...I just thought I would do the 2 things I do best 1. Get Drunk 2. Enjoy the Scene ......So as I stumbled down the Runway (it was long) I managed to accomplish #2. THEN you wake up and they play for 8 hours or something like that..Posting papers on the board "Where is Booche?" , not that you could find a happy hippie in the masses, but the rest of the gang partied on between the 2 campsites and memories were made, and apparently the music was good...and as Tom and I drove home straight listening to Radiohead , it occurred to me that this was a major musical/social event, not only in my life, but in others as well.

SO lets honour the 15 disc recording, A FuLL Listening Of the Lemonwheel Catalogue is in order!

Details to Follow!

So

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonwheel

taping a weekend festival in the middle of nowhere presents certain complications. not the least of which is power. i sense most tapers developed mighty biceps that weekend, lugging 30lbs of lead acid batteries in and out each day. like most tapers sections, it was a very communal atmosphere with people borrowing cables, connectors and anything else one could easily forget in the midst of also having to pack camping gear for the trip. there was no radio shack on the way to the show that night. we were on our own.

they played virtually every song I wanted to hear.

the elephant was trippy.

i had a lot of fun at Lemonwheel. when canada customs planted pot in my friend's bag on the way back to test their drug dogs, he didn't have fun.

I had drug dogs "mark" my bag on the way back into Canada from the Wheel as well! But I didn't have any drugs on me, so it just lead to a careful unpacking of all my dirty wook-smelling lemonwheel laundry at the border and a rediculous delay.

Speaking of taping. I taped that back in my analog days. I think it took me 5 or 6 Maxell MX90s and a dozen or so D-cell batteries to get through the fest, but those tapes got a LOT of plays afterward.

Good memories. Didn't think the Wheel had the magic factor of the Went for me, but maybe I was just more jaded by then, since the Went was my first Phish fest.

You are going to have to elaborate.

we came thru the next morning into St. Leonard, NB. was a slow day, so customs was bored and having fun. they went thru our car carefully, bags on the ground, dogs in the car, looked in our wallets, etc. no problem.

our friend (who may actually post on jambands for all I know?) came thru less than 30 min later on his own. for whatever reason, customs planted a small vial of pot in his tent bag. the dog marked it and customs said "well, what do we have here?". our friend freaked. he didnt have any stash, but thot maybe some wookie had tossed it in his tent. the charade continued for only a minute or so and then they owned up that they were testing the dogs and had planted it. he was furious and filed a formal complaint when he got back to capital city. i dont think anything came of it.

downer ending to a great weekend.

Wow, Lemonwheel! Man what an amazing adventure that was! :)

We got super searched coming across the border. I'd never had to do the empty pockets, empty wallet, full body frisk thing before! I can't believe I also got something across. Close call and good lesson...

The garden of infinite pleasantries indeed! It all went off in good fashion. There was even a disco bus that played all night. Truly wild, I love the circus!

Tower Jam!

Edited by Guest

wow the guy above looks happy....and no wonder when you look where her hands are going..

the lemonwheel, ...our tent blew away. we went looking. i found it about 50 meters from our camp site, with three' punks' drinkin in it. i nicely explained it was my tent, they said 'prove it' and pretty much told me to go f-myself. . after a while i managed to prove it and the reluctantly gave it back. not my fav fest, caused me to take a break from the scene for over a year after that. that's how shows go tho, people have different experencies depending on sometimes the 'immediate' surroundings.

Lemonwheel to me represents the best road trip ever. Took two new Phish fans with me, who were generally more casual fans, and neither of whom had the experience level with booze and drugs that I had. So I fucked them up pretty good. And Phish did a good job of that ... maybe later I'll post some pics.