Jambands.ca

2008 Beijing Olympic Games

badams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Sandy Hill three years ago and expected to hear noise that is normally associated with downtown living in the summer months.

This was the case until the flying "lawn mower" appeared in the sky.

This noisy biplane leaves the Canadian Aviation Museum about every 30 minutes from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day of the week as well as weekends. It follows a flight path close to my residence near Strathcona Park.

I know that it is the same "pesky" biplane that has annoyed Michael Bell in Centretown and I imagine many others.

While tourists may find the biplane rides to be as described in the museum's website, a "once-in-a lifetime experience," I find that there is a total disregard and lack of consideration for people living in the Sandy Hill area given the frequency and noise of these flights.

If these flights were limited to a special occasion, I would fully understand and not be writing this letter.

However, the "pesky" biplane that Mr. Bells refers to flies back and forth throughout the day from 9:00 A.M. until 5:30 P.M. The frequency and accompanying noise of the flights is a disturbing intrusion into a residential neighbourhood.

Even though it may be legally permissible for the biplane to fly over a residential neighbourhood, I think that the resulting noise pollution created by the biplane does not justify a tourist being able to enjoy an "amazing flight experience" at the expense of permanent residents in the neighbourhood.

I have brought my concerns about the noise pollution from the biplane to the attention of the Canadian Aviation Museum who have agreed to look into the matter. I must say that they have listened attentively to my complaint.

Marc Ducharme, chief of operations at the aviation museum, assured me that there would a review of the biplane rides and he promised to see if the route could be altered so it would not be consistently over one residential area.

My observation is that there has been some improvement in the noise but I believe the real solution is to only fly these planes on occasions such as the museum's classic air rally on Aug. 23-24.

Gary Wolf,

Ottawa