Jambands.ca

2008 Beijing Olympic Games

badams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very exciting Silver for S Whitfield last night. The one commentator on CBC was so negative the entire race. It was only until the last 500m or so that he had anything good to say.

no shit eh.. his shoulders are tight, hes not relaxed, it doesnt look good.

then he drops about 5 metres back and the commentator was still bitching about how he was dropped, meanwhile he had made up the ground and was running with the leaders again.

i did think he was done on the last lap.. awesome kick to get back in it.

couldnt believe the german cruised righ by him. great race.

Wicked day at the Olympics for Canada.

I totally agree about the commentary. I have been bitching about it from day one. Unbelievably negative. When they talked to the trampolinist, the first comment that was made was "so you weren't supposed to be here (final round) ..." FUCK YOU he just won a silver medal!!!! (and yes, i think he was robbed of the gold too).

The finish in the triathalon was nuts. What an amazing athlete.

Diving! Wow. Don't know how they do it. Alexandre held his own and came through like a true champ. Didn't have a hope in catching the insane Chinese gold medalist.

And the bronze in hurdles???? Holy shit. Another one that they didn't give any hope to. It hurdles for fuck's sake. Remember Perdita? Those things knock out the best of them (like LoLo today).

I just love comefrombehind/underdog/beattheodds finishes like this.

Canada's second half of these games is rockin' compared to the dismal first half.

Also, Van Koeverden sets world record in kayaking all-time world best clocking of one minute, 35.554 seconds in his preliminary race in the men's K1 500 metres and advanced to Thursday's semifinals.

Van Koeverden dedicated the race and world-best time to his friend Whitfield.

"I sent Simon a quick e-mail after his race, and just before mine, saying: 'You were hugely inspiring today. Thanks.'"

"Simon's race was intelligent and gutsy . . . there's so much fight in that guy and he wanted it so bad. Simon has been such a force in changing my attitude. What he did in 2000 was one of the most inspirational things I ever witnessed and was an eye-opener for me and is what made me want to be a Canadian Olympian and to be an Olympic champion."!

GO CANADA GO !!!

jason_burnett081608.jpg

2.jpg

081908despatie.jpg

lopes_schliep_hurdles081708.jpg

kayak.jpg

Edited by Guest

Wicked day at the Olympics for Canada.

I totally agree about the commentary. I have been bitching about it from day one. Unbelievably negative. When they talked to the trampolinist, the first comment that was made was "so you weren't supposed to be here (final round) ..." FUCK YOU he just won a silver medal!!!! (and yes, i think he was robbed of the gold too).

The finish in the triathalon was nuts. What an amazing athlete.

Diving! Wow. Don't know how they do it. Alexandre held his own and came through like a true champ. Didn't have a hope in catching the insane Chinese gold medalist.

And the bronze in hurdles???? Holy shit. Another one that they didn't give any hope to. It hurdles for fuck's sake. Remember Perdita? Those things knock out the best of them (like LoLo today).

I just love comefrombehind/underdog/beattheodds finishes like this.

Canada's second half of these games is rockin' compared to the dismal first half.

Also, Van Koeverden sets world record in kayaking all-time world best clocking of one minute, 35.554 seconds in his preliminary race in the men's K1 500 metres and advanced to Thursday's semifinals.

Van Koeverden dedicated the race and world-best time to his friend Whitfield.

"I sent Simon a quick e-mail after his race, and just before mine, saying: 'You were hugely inspiring today. Thanks.'"

"Simon's race was intelligent and gutsy . . . there's so much fight in that guy and he wanted it so bad. Simon has been such a force in changing my attitude. What he did in 2000 was one of the most inspirational things I ever witnessed and was an eye-opener for me and is what made me want to be a Canadian Olympian and to be an Olympic champion."!

GO CANADA GO !!!

jason_burnett081608.jpg

2.jpg

081908despatie.jpg

lopes_schliep_hurdles081708.jpg

kayak.jpg

Nice post Kev... I am hoping we can bag another 5 medals or so. I have enjoyed watching these games.

And yet again ... another team doing the 'slant eye' pose. WTF?!?!? Seriously:

http://machochip.com/2008/08/why-oh-why-argentinian-women-s.php

Argentine Women's Soccer Players Are Latest Spanish-Speaking Group Of Olympians With "Slant-Eyes" Pics

argie_slit_face.jpg

The first time is chance. The second time is coincidence. The third time is a pattern. As the battle rages on over whether the Spanish nation’s Olympic heroes are racist for their slant-eyed shenanigans, another country whose main language is Spanish and main food staple is meat has found itself in the discussion. A picture has just come to light showing members of Argentina’s Women’s Olympic soccer team slanting their eyes like the Spanish basketball and tennis teams did before them. (Also check out Latinos hate Asians coverage on Guanabee). In reality however, the images were taken a week before the Spaniards’ but are just surfacing now like stinky, dead fish in a polluted river.

The photo was published - without provoking controversy - in the Argentine sports newspaper Ole on Aug 5, to accompany a preview of the team’s first match of the tournament against Canada. It was taken more than a week before adverts featuring the Spanish men’s and women’s basketball teams in similar poses sparked international criticism.

The image shows players Maria Potassa, Eva Gonzalez, Fabiana Vallejos and Andrea Ojeda smiling broadly as they pull back the skin on the side of their eyes, in a crude impersonation of Chinese people. There is no suggestion that the four footballers intended to cause offence.

Again with this “didn’t mean to offend.†Then what the hell were you doing? At least own up to the fact you were mocking the appearance of someone different than you, then give one of those fake apologies athletes like to give instead of feigning not understanding how something this egregious is racist. In the long run, saying “I’m sorry I picked up that hooker†is a lot better than “I was just giving her a ride†in a world ready to give famous people second acts.