Jambands.ca

2008 Beijing Olympic Games

badams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equestrian Eric Lamaze of Schomberg, Ont., won the gold medal in the Olympic individual show jumping competition Thursday.

Lamaze defeated Sweden's Rolf-Goran Bengtsson in a jump-off to win Canada's third gold medal of the Beijing Games.

It was also Canada's first-ever individual equestrian gold medal and just the second individual show jumping medal in Olympic history.

UGH. I watched that match and was totally baffled. I admit, i don't know much about the "sport" but as it was explained, Canada was obviously being ripped off.

Like one of the replies on the Star's site said, why is it that the majority of China's golds are in JUDGED "sports"???? I'm not saying ALL of them are undeserving, but there are some really odd outcomes (the Canadian trampolinist getting the silver is another).

Remember, humans aren't the only athletes at the games. Horses are another and they are tested for doping too. Looks like a few have been caught and could cost Norway a medal:

http://olympics.thestar.com/2008/article/482831

Fuck, how to you inject yourself when you've got hooves for hands????

Why the fuck don't the HORSES get a medal when they win either???

further to that, if it's judged, is it really a sport?

Tough call. One could easily argue that football, soccer, baseball, hockey, etc. are all "judged" by umpires/referees.

We've had a lot of debates here at work about this. The definition of "sport" is unbelievably vague. By making the definition much more focused would automatically eliminate countless events from the Games (not saying that would be a bad thing mind you )