Jambands.ca

Comments section in CBC news articles

Davey Boy 2.0

Anyone else sick of this kinda shite ?

If the article is at all contentious the comments denigrate almost immediately to bickering and name calling. Putrid.

Here's the email i recently sent to the CBC:

Please add my name to the list of people who want the comments section removed from news stories. It's embarrassing for Canadians to have these "voices" so easily accessible to the world at large, makes Canada look like a country full of half-informed, reactionary, judgemental know-it-alls. At least 'hide' the comments with one more level of drilldown, please.

half-informed, reactionary, judgemental know-it-alls.

You forgot "illiterate".

I'm with you on this one. I can't believe some of the crap my fellow Canadians are posting on the CBC's comments section. Almost every thread devolves into a Conservative vs. Liberal, Hippie vs. Redneck battle. It's rare to see a post that contains a coherent sentence.

It's a good thing there's still jambands.ca, where I can always see some intelligent debate.

Yeah, those have been bugging me for a while. Partly for the low level the discourse always sinks to, but also because of the ways in which people show their true colours when allowed the anonymity provided by the internet. There's way more latent racism and hatred in this country than those who subscribe to the "polite Canadian" stereotype would care to admit.

the thing i find most striking about the GlobeandMail comments is an apparent lack of understanding that the world aint black and white. it seems you are either THIS or THAT. its easier to toss labels than it is to try to actually understand someone else's view. for some articles half the comments have nothing to do with the article, they are just political rants.

• 5 weeks later...
Small consolation that the CBC isn't the only site with this kind of problem. The comments at the bottom of this page are shocking...

LOL

These people are insane, they should investigate the fact that God's intelligence created the universe.

These extremely selfish experiments are wasting an enormous amount of resources and possibly lives. These people need to find another hobby.

I mean of course.

I had to stop reading those comments, they're just dumb to put it blandly. They complain about this but then I didn't read a single post saying anything about nukes and how they have the potential to destroy us all, why not bitch about those. aaaaaaaaaaa, I've been drawn in...

Edited by Guest

Small consolation that the CBC isn't the only site with this kind of problem. The comments at the bottom of this page are shocking...

Yeah, yahoo has the same kind of bickering and name calling on all of it's news stories too. It's a bit much for sure.

I didn't read the comments on that article but I've been very interested in the "Atom Smasher" in Switzerland. Trying to create dark matter so they can study things like black holes with gigantic magnets deep under the Earth worries me for some reason.

Edit:.....Nukes too, and now I've also been sucked in (which isn't very hard these days!)

Edited by Guest

Seems pretty cool to me. I grew up on video games like final fantasy so I've always wanted to get my hands on some dark matter :)

Think of the positive possibilities though. What if they create some new atom or particle that solves the energy crisis and allows us to create renewable clean energy.

Then again, you could look on the dark side in that they might inadvertently open up a portal to another dimension ruled by evil demons that would like nothing more than to escape into our world and wreak havoc on us all...

Sounds like a pretty cool movie to me :)