Jambands.ca

Contact Lenses

rubberdinghy

Don't ask me! I wore contacts for almost 25 years and I doubt I'll ever stick one of those things in my eyes again!!!!

They did save me from going blind, so I appreciate that, but give me glasses every time!

To answer one of your questions though, they pop out when you tug at the corner of your eye (though that would occasionally cause them to slide to the back of my eyeball clinging with ridiculously strong suction force). For the record, I wore hard contacts which I think nobody wears anymore.

I wear contacts seldomly (swimming, some poker tournaments), basically whenever I want to wear sunglasses or go in the water. For that reason, I get the daily disposables. Focus Dailies are good for me, but I have had Accuvue in the past as well.

Quick head's up though - get your contacts from VisionDirect.com - they will be about half the price as whatever your eye doctor will charge.

Just make sure you get a full contact lense prescription - you will have to fax it to them.

That said, before you let on that you will be buying elsewhere, your eye doctor should give you some trial lenses to see which you like best.

I have worn glasses and contact lenses, but I wouldn't recommend either.

Look up the Bates Method for re-learning to see without glasses or contacts.

I have been doing this method for a couple of months now and I really "seeing" an improvement.

As the eye muscles around the eye control the shape when they are tight they distort the image eg nearsightedness, farsightedness etc.

When you wear glasses it creates tension in the already tight muscles and increases the need for glasses due to the inability of the eye muscles to relax.

Plus the eay has a really high metabolism which requires lots of oxygen contacts block O2 from getting to the eye.

The most eye opening thing I read in this method is that we are all able to see perfect we technically learn to see unclearly (stress is a huge factor)

With a large portion of the population wearing glasses I wonder what it is we don't want to see.

One source said that we have the ability to see form right in from to our faces to infinity.

I guess we just forgot that.

I wear Acuvue Oasys, and I think they're pretty good. They don't get too dry, cause I tend to have that probem when I smoke. ;)

I also like them because if you have to sleep in them for a night or two, they don't kill your eyes like most contacts do. I can't stand touching my eyes with dirty hands when I'm camping, so it doesn't bother me to leave them in a few nights.

You just have to practice putting them in and out. It really is easy after you're used to it. I can do it without looking in a mirror!

I've been wearing contacts since I was 12! I didn't even own a pair of glasses til a few years ago! I wonder what kind of damage it's done to my eyes! :blush:

Just go to a good ophthalmologist or optometrist and don't listen to opticians - they are the same as a nutritionist to a dietician.

All eyes are different and not all brands are suitable for certain types of eyes. That being said, get the most permeable disposable lenses that you can get. Also, don't over-wear contacts no matter what kind you get: I don't wear lenses longer than 10 hours and I normally give my eyes a rest the day or two days after wearing contacts. I wear lenses maybe at the most, once or twice a week and I've never had eye issues in over 22 years of using contacts. Most eye problems occur when people over-wear their contacts or continue to use old lenses.

I use 02 Optics monthly contact lenses, made out of a more breathable material than before. I wear them for a month, taking them out every night for a month. I would not recommend yearlies,either monthlies or less. Lese likely to have eye irritations. I always give me eyes a rest form contacts every morning and night for about an hour or so. There is s contact solution that you are supposed to use with them to store and clean them called Opti-free express. I prefer contacts no fogged up glasses or rain drops on your glasses. They dont get in the way, you can't even tell you are wearing them.

And 'dinghy, it doesn't matter so much what brand and type of lense people use. I've tried the newest in technology disposable lenses specific for astigmatism and they made me have double-vision. Other expensive well-known brand lenses gave me light-blurs at night. The ones I have now are well-made, but not perfect either, buy they are bi-weekly disposables and very comfortable. A good ophthalmologist or optometrist will give you as many different brands/types of trial lenses as possible and by the end of it, you should be able to find the right lense for your eyes.

All I'm saying is that all eyes react differently to different kinds of lenses. I'm a big supporter of wearing contacts, but you have to be responsible when you wear them once you get the right lenses. Contacts have to sit perfectly in your eye to get good vision, not unlike when you wear glasses. Astigmatism adds problems to contact-wearers because that particular eye affliction relates to the eye's curvature - astigmatigmatic eyes are flatter, making it more difficult to fit certain kinds of contacts.

I have been wearing glasses for about 7 years and decided (after being referred to as "The girl with the glasses" in school one night) to try contacts.

Optimistic, naive or silly me committed to buying a years worth of monthly disposables all at once. I tried them for two months, only wearing them a couple times a week, and they irritated my eyes so much that I have opted out of wearing them anymore and I am stuck with 10 months worth in my closet.

I'm a glasses girl or mostly (which drives my husband nuts) I choose not to wear anything at all when I'm not at work.

I'm gonna echo the support for the dailies too...years ago I used to wear the monthly disposables and found them to be irritating, and the whole routine with the solution and the holder and losing one half-way through the month and trying to remember which contact had 2 weeks left in it and which had a month...ridiculous. I did it for years though and then went back to glasses for about 5 years straight I think.

Then I went with the dailies, which I wear maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and they're great. No solution, no storage, just pop them out of the package and into my eyes, and at night out of my eyes and into the garbage. I find they only last me about 8 hours though, but I don't know if that's still my eyes getting used to them or if they're actually getting gummy in that length of time.