Jambands.ca

Vote for the Greatest BlueJay of All time

Hal Johnson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question for you guys. How does being an Oriole equate to being a Blue Jay?

This isnt about the Best Career.

Its simply Greatest Blue Jay.

Exactly, and I'd like to add it isn't about being a personal "favourite" Jay. Barfield was a good player and so was Gruber and The Shaker. But they don't belong in the Top 3 or even Top 5.

There seems to be no love for Jimmy Key either. He was a dominant lefty back in the day. He may not be in my Top 3, but he at least deserves a mention. Following Stieb in the lineup gave teams lots of fits.

Yeah, I keep coming back to Alomar as well. Without him could they really have won back to back World Series? Sure you could make that argument with a number of their players, including 1992 world series mvp Pat Borders, but Alomar was another class of player.

Remember this?

Devon White...racing back to the warning track...GREAT CATCH UP AGAINST THE WALL!! And the runners pass each other. Pendleton went by Sanders. And now the Blue Jays have Sanders in a rundown with a chance for a triple play! Gruber did not get him! Gruber, insisting to Bob Davidson that he tagged him on the foot and it looked like he did from that angle.

God, I used to love baseball so much.

Personally, I have a hard time putting a closer in the Top 3 on most teams let alone the Jays. Their job is to save games and come in for an inning or two, tops.

There's a reason the starters (such as Stieb) have so many wins - a strong closer like Henke or Ward shuts down the other team in the final innings. Just as important a position, IMO.

Their job is to save games and come in for an inning or two' date=' tops. [/quote']

There's a reason the starters (such as Stieb) have so many wins - a strong closer like Henke or Ward shuts down the other team in the final innings. Just as important a position, IMO.

True, but have you checked-out Stieb's complete games and innings pitched record, not to mention his ERA during his peak Jays time? Stieb had 103 complete games and had an overall career 3.44 ERA, which is impressive given he finished a lot of games. Stieb would have an even greater win-loss total and ERA if he didn't have to hand the ball off to pre-Henke aces like Bill Caudill, Roy Lee Jackson and Randy Moffitt.

1. I don't give a shit about what Pat Hentgen says about anything

2. I'm not saying Henke or any closer deserves credit for any starter's wins - I'm saying they deserve credit for letting starting pitchers keep their wins. [color:purple]I think that's called a Save.

3. Stieb was a great pitcher, you don't have to convince me.

He researched late-inning leads over 73 seasons, from 1944 to 2003, and an additional 14 seasons prior to that span. What he found is that the winning percentage for teams who enter the ninth inning with a lead has remained virtually unchanged over the decades. Regardless of the pitching strategy, teams entering the ninth inning with a lead win roughly 95 percent of the time. That was the exact rate in 1901 and that was the rate 100 seasons later.

He's just saying the save is an overrated stat.

Shouldn't you be on your way to The Island, AD?

Hentgen is one of my favourite Jays because of his dedication and loyalty let alone his solid pitching for the team (a Cy Young is a Cy Young). He still bleeds blue and white too. He's not much different in his love of the Jays than Alvin Williams was and Bosh is with their love of the Raptors.