Jambands.ca

Be safe starhead!

ForbinHood

Much love to you brother... so glad we got to share some time together before you left... you are one of my best friends and hope you find an experience that you will never forget.

Keep in touch, be safe, and think of your friends often... we in turn, will be thinking of you...

Peace!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob...you and Mellie are my family and I love you both a great deal. Thank you everyone for your well wishes, it really means the world to me.

Anyway, I am here in Dubai and it's freakin HOT!

My luggage is lost somewhere so I have no clothes, but hopefully it will turn up at some point.

It has already been a crazy experience.

I just got in from a club here where I was solicited by a lovely Ethiopian girl. She kept pushing for me to take her back to my hotel room. I declined in fear that when I awake in the morning my wallet would be gone.

I leave for Kandahar in the morning so it's time for me to climb into bed.

Nice to check in and read your post POG.

I will keep you folks updated on my life inside KAF (Kandahar air field).

btw...I did not enlist in the military.

I am working as a (welder) civillian contractor supporting the Canadian Forces at the NATO air field.

peace all

bones

it's bloody HOT here!

I love the heat of summer, but this is something that I have only experienced before in Vegas and that was in mid July.

Folks keep telling me that it has cooled down considerably but it's going to take a bit of time to get used to this weather.

The evenings are really nice though. Last night we took a walk to the boardwalk, got a coffee from Tim Horton's and watched one of the playoff ball hockey games here on the outdoor arena.

Still no luggage, so I've had to buy some stuff from the American PX. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will show up at some point.

The food is pretty damn good for cafeteria style and we can eat as much as we want, so I hope to gain a shit load of weight :)

There are a lot of people in KAF, both soldiers and civilians from several countries. It all seems like organized chaos to me right now.

I'm living in a weather-haven tent that has 8 rooms inside (roughly 10' X 10').

Everyone I have met so far seems really nice and happy to be here.

This is like nothing I have ever done before so I am enjoying the trip so far.

Anyway, just thought I would check in and say hello.

Time for a quick nap before dinner.

peace

bones

Great to hear from you my friend...so enlighten us on a normal day for you now... at least your normal...

So when ya hittin up the opium?

haha...no opium for this guy thank you very much!

I don't do drugs..you know that.

yesterday better not be the norm for me here.

I had to go to my first ramp ceremony.

those are held when a soldier(s) is killed, and a few days ago 3 military engineers were killed when they drove over an IED (improvised explosive device). It was incredibly sad to be there and many tears were flowing as we stood on the runway watching the coffins being carried to the plane. They were draped in Canadian flags and there was a bagpiper playing as the pallbearers carried the bodies. I still feeling like crying to be honest, but I just keep telling myself to be strong and everything will be ok.

Other than that I had a great day. Instead of putting me in the welding shop, I have gone directly to Sea Can (container) inspection. I am being flown back to Dubai around the 24th of September for a few days where I will write my examination. It's one of the best jobs in the whole camp and I am pretty freakin' stoked to be offered this opportunity. My co-worker is from Quebec City and is an awesome guy, so my days are fun and educational at the same time.

I am just on my lunch break now and need to go back to work (we work 6 days a week here).

I will write more later.

Oh ya, have I mentioned that is is fawkin' HOT here?

48 degrees celcius today!

It's tough being outside all day in these temps.

Anyway...ciao for now skanks

much love

bones