Jambands.ca

Be safe starhead!

ForbinHood

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the military police were apparently through our tent the other day with the dogs.

I was at work at the time and knew nothing about it, but two of my tent mates are being sent home today. I am finding that there are always tons of rumours floating around (people love to talk) all the time. The story goes that they were drinking and someone ratted them out. When the dogs came through they sniffed out a pipe and that was that...going home! They don't fuck around here!

I only met the guys briefly and haven't got the real story from them, but I can't help but feel for them. It will likely be an expensive mistake on their part with possible trouble back home if the RCMP get involved.

This place is kind of like jail in the middle of a freakin' desert!

Today I get to drive my first right handed vehicle..should be interesting!

It is hard to get a solid nights sleep here as there are always planes taking off and guns being fired at the shooting range, even at 3am.

I still haven't heard a bloody word about my luggage either, and I appear to be the only one interested in finding the damn stuff.

Oh well, another day another dollar.

Most people take Sunday off here (but I am working), so today I plan on spending most of my time in the air conditioned Sea Can office studying for my exam and taking it easy.

peace

bones

well to be honest it has been one hell of a rough start for me here.

I still don't have my luggage and likely won't until I go back to Dubai in a months time to write my sea can inspector exam and pick it up myself.

the company I am working for pretends to give a shit, but they really don't!

Two days after I arrived here the military police and their dog found a pipe and some hash hidden outside of the tent I was assigned to and I was investigated by the MP's just because I happen to be in that tent. I have never been through anything like that before and was kind of scared shitless by the ordeal. We are told that our internet activity and phone calls are monitored so I have been quite reluctant to mention anything about it. I was read my rights to have access to a military lawyer, etc and was asked a bunch of questions about something I had nothing to do with.

This place really feels like a big jail in the middle of the desert and I think it was probably a big mistake giving up my cushy teaching jobs in TO and taking on this contract.

My co-worker has had enough after being here 3 weeks and is headed home on Sunday. It's costing him about $5500 because he broke his contract so that definitely is NOT an option for me.

If anyone else is considering coming here for work, I would honestly advise against it..even if the money is good.

I am getting a little more used to the heat, but it is still brutally hot every day. It has been sunny and over 45 degrees everyday that I have been here. I don't think it rains EVER.

I have met some good people here though.

It is wild to see all the soldiers with big guns slung over their shoulders constantly, but I guess I am getting used to that as well.

This has to be the dustiest place on earth and everyday when I finish work and take my shower I blow Afghanistan out of my nose.

I hope I see a camel spider or horned viper snake soon..something to kill the mundane.

Appreciate Canada folks...it SO beats living over here.

Anyway...tomorrow is another day.

peas

bones

what's to monitor?

" is the BOMB!"

" sux ass!"

"Booche is a fag"

"I'm leaving the board"

"who wants to get drunk?"

"any breakfast spots in Ottawa?"

"ROLL CALL!!!"

"i heard from a good source that phish is getting back together"

$5500 to get out of there? That's a pretty strong ball and chain. What happens to the money you're making there?

Good luck and thanks for reminding us how wonderful it is here. Even the shitty winters beat everything over there.

From what you're saying, I wouldn't ever be able to sleep there. Do they supply ear plugs? If not, can you get mail from us?

um..I really don't think anyone cares about what's said on this board unless it's me talking about stuff that goes on here.

the $5500 is what it costs to get us here and back again. If I were to quit I am responsible for all costs incurred.

All the money I am making is going into my bank so I can build a sweet cabin in the spring on my property.

I'm getting used to the noise..not a problem for sleeping.

Last night we had a bbq and got to drink beer..well, 2 beers (but they were tall boys)..wahoo!

There is a market today where Afghan locals come in and set up shop...just like a Grateful Dead show..haha

later

today has been my best day here yet, and it's only 11:20am !

my luggage gets here tomorrow (guaranteed I am told)

and I just got back from the Afghan Bazaar (market).

I spent a bunch of money but felt good about supporting the local people. They were all really nice and spoke English very well. All men though...no woman allowed.

I bought a couple big chunks of Lapis Lazuli and a full on Afghan outfit...the dress/shirt thingy...those funky short pants and a turban...AWESOME! Wish I was at Grateful Fest to sport the new threads. I'm not even noticing the heat today.

Anyway..off to lunch then it's back to work for a few hours.

cheers

did the rcmp hijack starhead's profile? haha.

well, that sounds fantastic. Do you not have a camera or anyway to post a picture in your new threads?

ya, I brought my camera and just posted a few pics in the Skank photo forum

check them out here

the first pic is the area where I work (Land Equipment Maintenance Yard)...that's a sand storm blowing in over head!

snapped a pic of me in my new turban..it is Ramadan after-all :)

there's a shot of the weather-haven tents we live in, another with the mountains in the background, the sea cans I inspect, etc.

have a look if it interests you

peace

bones

I'm coming home folks!

This place is just too much fuckin' bullshit for me to handle any longer.

I submitted my letter of resignation today and leave this prison next Wednesday.

Tonight there is another ramp ceremony for 3 more Canadian soldiers that were killed yesterday. Two of the guys were 21 and the third was 23, with 5 others injured in the attack.

story here

The project manager of this shitty company I work(ed) for just came to me and told me I wasn't welcome on HIS parade (referring to the ramp ceremony). I didn't know this was about YOU was my reply...but that's fine!

Coming here was maybe one of the worst decisions I have made recently, but I gave it a shot and tried my best. One of the best decisions I have made is to get the hell out of here before it eats away at my soul.

Looking forward to getting back to teaching in TO and having my freedom back.

I've got stories to tell if any one has media connections :)

Later

bones