Jambands.ca

Roll Call - GratefulFest - NLQP

elemeno

Got back yesterday afternoon. We left on the Sunday to avoid traffic hassles and to get Darlene home to prep for first day of school after being off all summer ;)

Kickass time yet again. Too tired to post much right now and still have all the unpacking and cleaning to do.

First night DSO was a nice '88 show with a couple of bonuses after the encore. Second night was a smokin' April 77 gig. WOW. Haven't heard about night 3 yet.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt! Once again, an amazing time overall. The ledges is just such a great place! Other than rain on the Thursday when we rolled in during the evening, the weather was great.

Being surrounded by such a great crew was definitely the highlight. It had been a while since I had a good fill of music at a festival (and jamming around the fire...always a favourite for me). Our son also had a great time. He was such a trooper. Thanks to all for being so good with him, I know he enjoyed your company along with the music.

Overall, I think the line-up last year was a little stronger. Mind you, we left a day early this year and the festie was already a day shorter, so I'm sure I was able to take in more last year. My highlights were definitely The New Mastersounds. Seeing/hearing them was a first for me, and they were great. Totally tight, jazzy/funky. They were followed by Rowan and Rice quartet which was melodically beautiful as well. Finally DSO was a blast as always. The first night was decent, but the second night was my favourite by far. The Ramble on Rose, Terrapin, Morning Dew run had me in the zone.

Too bad we missed out on the music sunday. I'd be curious to know how Keller was. Did he play on his own, or did he have his full band?

That was such an amazing time! My favourite part was the amazing crew of friends that gathered - both old and new. Made the festival for me.

Second was the 15-20hrs (maybe more) of jamming around the campfire - Boss, Schwa, Todd, The Alphanerd, Mike from wherever and his 2 friends - thanks!

Third was the music. Like Edger said, the line-up wasn't as strong as last year but still strong.

DSO - WOW! Rowan/Rice - WOW!

Highlights (in no particular order)

1) Elemeno scaring Dr Dealer with the 2 gun salute

2) Schwa pulling out, "Gospel Plow" - great tune.

3) Basher's tripping over my bass and playing a bluegrass classic.

4) Getting a gold medal (Beijing '08) from a girl for playing tunes.

5) Mark Tonin jam (Mark see Joni for the video/audio of said jam)

6) maxwebster - I think it's illegal in some country's to be so funny.

7) The "Slap You Jesus" jam

8) Getting to know Cully, Stoned Phillips, Todd, Basher and The Alphanerd better

9) Rowen - what a beautiful boy. Those faces and smiles - WOW - melt your heart.

10) The fucking car alarm

11) Hearing Todd's new tune - Faded Empire

12) Boss's new line for a tune, "There's no jobs in this city, so I shot a guy after the Bob Seeger concert"

13) Stoned Phillips, Basher, Edger, Todd, Rowen, Mousepad, Robin, Cully, Boss, Aubre, Tigger, Becky, Joe, Schwa, Kevin, Teagen, MaxWebster, The Alphanerd, Baj, Cpt Sunshine

Hope to see y'all sooner than later.....thanks for all the smiles.

Couldn't have put it better Babs!

Good times ya'll, thanks for the memories :)

My highlight was for sure the 2nd set of the '77 show. Terrapin>Morning Dew was surreal! Couldn't stop smiling watching Tony Rice pick, wow is all i can say about that fella. 15-20 some odd hours of campfire jams were soooo fun, and that stand-up is seriously coming along Blurry!!! Can't wait to grease up the Gospel Plow for another run :) :)

Sweet. You're the best. ;)

I have to echo the sentiments already expressed--our group was phenomenal and was definitely the highlight of a great weekend, with the camp-jams a close second.

There were plenty of freaks staggering around, keeping it interesting (present company included), which was also enjoyable. :)

And, next time, you better believe I'm bringing some sort of Quote Board so we can all enjoy the plethora of hilarity being bandied about (no matter how bad our memories might be).

"Hey! Girl Schwa!"

"Did I just see a family of clowns walk by?"

"Oh, I got the girth man.."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=67837&l=24f85&id=538716345

Want to take a moment to thank everyone for an amazing weekend and helping me feel so incredibly welcome. Nelson Ledges is a magical place and I look forward to coming back for years to come.

Some of my highlights.

1) The Horny Moose / Memorall

2) The New Mastersounds (So Funky)

3) The Boo Bams

4) All the Colored Girls saying Doop doo doop

5) Wandering with Schwa to find a jam... finally settling on a random empty camp site with 2 chairs and a fire.

6) Becky sitting around with that last Sausage for what seemed like 2 hours.

There are so many more... but I figure I'll leave the rest to you guys to remember.

What a great weekend. So I didn't find a heady wife, or a new kidney, but the scene was amazing.

I think the fact that their wasn't a single nitrous ballon on the grounds had something to do with it!! Thanks to everyone who made the weekend so special

Some Highlight include:

-"I love fake Bobby!!"

-A stellar swimming area

-New Mastersounds...great funk

-Watching Wavy Gravy try and figure out when he was supposed to talk in the mic - and watching his 'handler'

-late-night jams around the fire have never sounded so great!!

-CORNMEAL - off the charts

-spending some quality time in the hammock, with Schwa playing guitbox for me. 'play some Hip'

-walking around after dark in a sea of glow sticks, and those trippy flashlights - I want one!!

-Getting sleep at a festival!!

Cheers everyone, thanks for all the memories.

Well, back at work today was a drag. Wishin' i was back at Gratefulfest ;)

Good seeing a bunch of folks from here again. That Rowen is adorable! Schwa finally ... i'll be seeing you at shows again i'm sure and we'll party some more. The good ol' gratefulfest crew from last year too with Scottie, Baj, Tara, Rich, etc. etc. And happy extended bday party Jay :) Appreciated the w&b when I met ya early the next morning ;)

I'm really sorry I didn't get up to the site you guys were at for some of the campfire performances. After the first show I had all intentions. But after hitting our site and getting the kids asleep I got down to party with ya for a good chunk of the second set. Returning to the tents after the DSO sets I sat down with about 12 campers around our fire and ended up glued to the chair with the cooler beside me. Great people, stories, partying.

The night of the '77 show something wasn't right in my gut. Totally sucked. Was still able to be down on the beach for the first set. Ended up heading back to the campsite for the second set :( I was able to hear it perfectly, as we were very close to the stage. Bummed me out that I wasn't able to party much at all that night.

WTF was up with the race cars at 8am on Sunday???? Sure was glad I didn't have a hangover ;)

Saw Cully as we were pulling out on Sunday. We had to get back a little early to prep for the first day of school. Drive was a breeze with no stoppages at all hardly. How was it on Monday???

Didn't get around to too many pics other than of the kids, but here are a few;

Gratefulfest08.jpg

2008-08-29%20000.JPG

2008-08-29%20008.JPG

2008-08-30%20015.JPG

2008-08-30%20020.JPG

Edited by Guest