Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Go Molson!

We worship you our savory frothing overlords.

In other news, the guy I swore was going to be the next Habs coach back when Carbonneau was fired, Don Lever, was in turn let go by the Habs organization.

That's ok, I like Jacques Martin better.

Guest Low Roller

Ha! That's a frightening picture.

So Muller stays and Jarvis leaves. I'm fine with that. That makes Muller the only confirmed survivor of the entire coaching staff from the Habs organization (Habs/Bulldogs)... Sergio Momesso still is technically the assistant coach for the Bulldogs, but that is pending depending on the new coach when he's announced.

Guest Low Roller

Gainey confirmed that he's not signing any of the UFAs until after the draft... let's start wildly speculating about Vinny coming over on draft day.

I.Will.Fucking.Lose.It.

and not in a good way...the cost is going to be way too high.

Nice timing Badams, I would call you but my phone line appears to be finally dead. Muller survives the onslaught eh? Good for him. He had the least experience of the bunch. I never thought he could make it this far.

Kirk Muller, his employment with the Montreal Canadiens secure, should be back in French class sometime soon.

The assistant coach -- the only bench boss from the parent club or its top affiliate not fired or replaced in the wake of a bizarre and disappointing 2008-09 campaign -- had stopped taking French lessons shortly after the Boston Bruins ended the Habs' centennial season with a first-round playoff sweep.

"To tell you the truth, I didn't know if I'd need French after that," the Kingston native said last night from his Loughborough Lake lair.

Yesterday, the Canadiens confirmed that Muller will be back next season, his fourth as an assistant following a one-year apprenticeship as head coach of the Queen's Golden Gaels.

The Canadiens also used the occasion to announce the dismissal of assistant coach Doug Jarvis, who had been in that position since 2005 and, like Muller, had two years left on his contract.

Last week, the team canned Don Lever and Ron Wilson, coaches with the American Hockey League Hamilton Bulldogs, and last month it announced the involuntary departure of goal-tending coach Roland Melanson.

Mor e ov e r, Gainey, who took over head coaching duties from pink-slipped Guy Carbonneau late last season, stepped down in favour of former Florida Panthers general manager Martin.

One wonders why Muller, throughout this steady swirl of changes, was spared the axe?

Perhaps his command of a third language was what saved his bacon in hockey-mad Montreal, the language of hockey which Muller speaks fluently.

Combine that linguistic talent with a congenial personality and an innate ability to relate to millionaire puck-chasers and one begins to understand why the 43-year-old is still with la bleu, blanc et rouge.

Muller did not disagree with that theory.

"The interaction with the guys probably worked in my favour," he said.

"I try to interact with them on a daily basis and deal with them, if possible, on a one-to-one basis," said Muller, who returns to Montreal today to help the Habs prepare for this weekend's NHL entry draft.

"I think it helps to ease the daily grind they face."

What about non-Englishspeaking players? How does he get through to them?

"I talk slower," he quipped before noting: "Hockey has its own universal language."

Muller actually learned of his fate a couple of weeks ago. In a phone conversation with Gainey, Muller pointed out that, because of his situation with a growing family and four daughters still in the roost -- he needed an indication one way or the other.

"Bob told me I'd be staying put but to keep it under my hat," Muller said.

Despite a growing number of vacant jobs -- including the head coach position in New Jersey with the Devils, the team that drafted Muller second overall to Mario Lemieux in 1984 -- there was no back-up plan. For starters, he couldn't contact other teams because he was still under contract to the Habs.

For another, Muller felt he wasn't quite ready to take the reins. Not yet, anyway.

"It's not time to move on," he said.

"I'm happy where I am, my family's happy in Montreal and for me personally, it's a great opportunity to work under an experienced coach like Jacques."

Three days after Martin was hired, he and Muller got to know each other and talked hockey over a three-hour dinner.

"One of the things he said was he didn't want a 'yes' man," Muller recalled.

"He said he wanted my opinions. Of course, at the time I didn't know if I'd still be around to give him any."

Last year Muller's bailiwick included the penalty-killing brigade, which ranked 11th in the 30-team loop. He suspects he'll have the same duties this season with a twist here and there.

In the meantime, after the entry draft is in the books, Muller intends to kick back at the summer residence on Loughborough.

"We just got here and I have to leave again (today)," added Captain Kirk, who just returned, in no particular order, from a vacation in St. Maarten, the NHL Awards in Las Vegas and a friend's wedding.

"After the draft is over, I'll be back," he said, meaning his hometown for the summer and, more importantly, Montreal for the start of the 2009-10 NHL season.

Guest Low Roller

Bouillon not coming back next year as the Habs have announced that they won't be offering him a new contract.

After 9 seasons with the Habs, I say to the little sparkplug: thanks and good luck!

Guest Low Roller

So Gainey said that the only UFAs who he will be discussing contracts with before July 1st are Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Schneider, and Komisarek.

That means that Dandenault, Bouillon, Kostopoulos, Lang, and Brisebois will be free to look at other options.

Guest Low Roller

What's to get oh enlightened one?

Headline for the Journal de Montreal yesterday:

"Le Canadien choisi le meilleur QUEBECOIS!"

The paper is creaming itself that Leblanc was chosen in the first round (And Gauthier in the third) saying how the French revolution was coming in the organization, blah blah blah. The paper spent the entire draft day with Leblanc, and published a minute-by-minute transcript of the entire day.

"8h15 Louis brushes his teeth and closes the cap to the toothpaste tube. That's the kind of leadership the Habs organization needs! Hopefully the english dogs mismanaging our Glorieux will make the right choice." (sic)

This is but a sample of the idiocy we would have been faced with if Quebecor bought the Habs.

Guest Low Roller

Only forwards signed so far for next year with NHL experience:

1- Lapierre

2- Bits Tits

3- Little Tits

4- Laraque

5- Metro

6- Max Pac.

Uhm.... anybody else getting nervous?

EDIT: Some notes from La Presse.... Komisarek was given an offer last week... Gainey met with Koivu today... Tanguay was not yet contacted by the organization...

Edited by Low Roller
In Bob I Trust?

anybody else getting nervous?

Nope.

If they decide to blow-it-up and go younger to build around the premise of Price's impending greatness I am all for it because lets be realistic. This team is not going to win the Stanley Cup as things stand, not without a heckuvalotof luck and sans injuries.

But maybe they have their eyes focused on a couple of free agents? We'll soon see.

Guest Low Roller

Qualifying offers went out to six RFA players:

Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, Guillaume Latendresse, Matt D’Agostini, Gregory Stewart and Kyle Chipchura.

Kovalev got an offer as well.