Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting a jump on the free agent market, the Montreal Canadiens moved to secure their centre ice position, making a big trade with the New York Rangers Tuesday.

The Canadiens acquired centre Scott Gomez, winger Tom Pyatt and defenceman Mike Busto from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins and defencemen Dpug Janik, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko.

Gomez, 29, is coming off a down season for the Rangers, finishing with 58 points, his lowest total since 2002-2003.

"We are extremely pleased to have acquired a player of the caliber of Scott Gomez. He is an outstanding playmaker and an excellent skater. Having won the Stanley Cup twice with the New Jersey Devils, he brings to our team a lot of playoff experience. Scott is an elite player who will certainly contribute to the success of our team for years to come" said Canadiens GM Bob Gainey.

A two-time Stanley Cup winner with the New Jersey Devils, Gomez was a blockbuster free agent signing for the Rangers in the summer of 2007. Gomez is signed through 2013-2014, at a salary cap hit of more than $7.35-million, so he represents a significant investment.

In 706 career games, Gomez has 148 goals, 430 assists and 578 points, adding 81 points in 114 career playoff games.

Higgins, a 26-year-old restricted free agent winger, also struggled in 2008-2009, scoring a career-low 23 points in 57 games as he missed a combined 25 games with hand and groin injuries.

Prior to last season, however, Higgins recorded three straight seasons of at least 20 goals and he'll be a more economical option for the Rangers as he earned $1.7-million last season.

Yup, that pretty much seals the deal with Koivu leaving.

I've got no opinion on these moves, aside from the questionable contracts + lengths, because I dont have a clue how these players are going to gel but I am somewhat surprised. Obviously there were far more serious problems in that dressing room than any of us realized. With the amount of money Gainey had at his disposal he would have signed at least couple of his UFA's.

In other news, Les Brahs got even smaller.

Guest Low Roller

Some numbers out there for people trying to figure out if Komi, Kovy, Tangy, or Koivu are coming back:

Cammalleri: 5 years, $30M -> cap hit of $6M

Gomez: 5 more years, $33.5M -> cap hit of $7.35M

Spacek: 3 years, $11.5M -> Cap hit of $3.75M

Gill: 2 years, $4.5M -> Cap hit of $$2.75M

Gionta: 5 years, $25M -> Cap hit of $5M

Edited by Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I am absolutely GUTTED by the departure of Koivu.

koivu_cancer510.jpg

NHL Totals:

GP 792

G 191

A 450 (6th highest in Canadiens history)

PTS 641 (10th highest scorer in Canadiens history)

2nd longest serving captain of the Canadiens. One season short of Yvan Cournoyer's record...

Calamari is a solid fn player. He's not all that small either. With Gomez feeding him and Gionta picking up the garbage? Not a bad line...but maybe Im just thiniking playstation here...but no seriously, it's a good line.

$7mil left to sign how many guys? They should spend it all on Tanguay and fill out the roster with rooks.

They have at least 4 more RFA's.

Call me unrealistic but I still havent resigned myself to the loss of Koivu. I cant do it, I love the little bastard. Until its official I am going to believe he will still end up with them. Heck, even if he does end up somewhere else I am going to wishfully pray that Gainey trades for him.

Guest Low Roller

$7M-8M to sign Latendresse, Plekanec, D'Agostini, Stewart, and Chipchura... let's be realistic here there is no room for Koivu.

They are all good players but I don't see them being any better than Koivu, Kovi and Tanguay. I think this has A LOT to do with the locker room and the way the team gels. I am hoping Gainey made some shrewd moves.

Losing Komi was no big deal. I liked how he played at times but 4.5 mil for two goals... I'd only pay a guy like Scott Stevens for that kind of production.

I'd like to see Koivu stay but it doesn't seem to be possible at this point. C'mon buddy take an EXTREME home town discount :)

Guest Low Roller

Here is a rough estimate of the line-up next year, italicized players are not yet signed.

Gionta - Gomez - D'Agostini

Big Tits - Cammalleri - Little Tits

Latendresse - Lapierre - Pacioretty

Laraque - Plekanec - Stewart

Extra: Chipchura, Metropolit

Markov - Gorges

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gil - O'Byrne

Extra: Weber

Guest Low Roller
I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Mike Komisarek signing with the Leafs for 2 million more than the Canadiens supposedly offered is an absolutely swift kick in the pants to the Habs and their fans. His decision suggests he was never seriously considering returning to Montreal, where they treated him as well as any organization could treat one of their players. After Komisarek's injury they put him behind the bench with the coaching staff, a move that emphasized how highly regarded he was around here. He was the first, and only one of two, to receive a contract offer from the Canadiens (over the captain, who had been in Montreal for 12 seasons), and he would've been a guy they likely would've made captain, sooner than later. It'll take a long time for Canadiens fans to get over Komisarek's decision to leave for the Toronto Maple Leafs, if they're ever able to.

It'll take a long time for Canadiens fans to get over Komisarek's decision to leave for the Toronto Maple Leafs, if they're ever able to.

Pfffffffffft. No problem there. EE is a little too quick on the draw with that article. I am so over Komi. His contract is stupid. Word on the nets has it he wanted 5 million per from Les Brahs because of the "taxes". If any fan honestly thinks he deserved that kind of money to stay in MTL.........

Guest Low Roller
TurtlePleks is getting traded, Koivu is signing for 2.5 million. Bet on it B(1).

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Guest Low Roller

Eklund is playing with my emotions by saving that Koivu returning to the Habs is not dead. Apparently Koivu is pondering his desire to even play for another team.

Mind you that's Eklund, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm keeping my grains of salt to rub into Eklund's open wounds that I inflicted on him if Koivu signs with the Wild.

Saku Koivun ja Montrealin yhteistyö on ohi. En ole surullinen pitkän fanituksen jälkeen. Sakun ja Montrealin taivalta olen seurannut jo 15 vuotta ja Montrealin elämää pitempäänkin. Uuusi suosikkiseurani tulee olemaan Sakun tuleva seura ja Montreal saa toistaiseksi jäädä unholaan. Muistan hyvin kevään ja kesän 1993 kun Montreal voitti viimeksi Stanley Cupin. Saman vuonna Saku varattiin numerolla 21 ensimmäisellä kierroksella. Loppu olikin siten yhtä vaivasita vaellusta. Joukkue hiioui ja sitä yritettiin rakentaa pariinkin otteeseen. Viimeinen yritys oli hyvä mutta keväällä 2008 joukkue alisuoritti pudotuspeleissä. Kaikki kaatui silloin pitkälti manageri Bob Gaineyn virheliikkeeseen kun hän lähti pudostuspeleihin kahdella nuorella maalivahdilla. Montrealilla oli näet potentiaalia loppuotteluun. Muitakin ongelmia toki oli ja jos nyut halutaan “putsata toimisto†epämiellyttävistä tyypeistä niin menkööt sitten vaan.

Sakun myötä usea pelaja sai ns. UFA-paperin eli vapaan siirto-oikeuden. Tilalle on hankittu mukamas kolme huippuhyökkääjää eli Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri ja Brian Gionta. Gomez ei ole sellainen pelaaja jota Montreal on etsinyt pitkään. Tarvelistalla on edelleen iso ja kovaluinen keskushyökkääjä jonka dimensiot pituus-, ja painoluokissa olisivat “6 and 2†ja 220.†Kun joukue todennäköisesti menettää vielä sellaiset oman kasvatit kuin Mike Komisarekin ja jo pois kaupatun Chris Higginsin lisäksi niin tuntuu aika pahalta. Aleksei Kovalev on myös menetetty pelaaja. Mutta en ole Bob Gainey…

Uskon vakaasti että Koivun tuleva osoite on Anaheim tai Minnesota. Sakut kyvyt tunnetaan ja hänen peräänsä katselee varmaan moni muukin seura. Saku tyytyy rooliinsa kakkosketjun sentterinä kuten ammatimiehelle kuuluukin. Ykkössentterin on näet oltava ihan oikeasti em. mitat täyttävä mies tai sitten hieman pienempi kunhan joukkueesta muuten löytyy isoja ukkeleita pysäyttämään vastustajien ykköskenttää. Vaikea sitten sanoa kumpi joukue olisi Sakulle parempi. Saku on tottunut kunnon talviin Montrealissa mutta Kalifornaian lämpö tekisi hyvää monien kolhujen miehelle. Ja tietenkin Teemu kaipaa kunnon juttuseuraa ja golf-kaveriakin. Eiköhän Teemu anna Sakulle ensi hätään alivuokralaisen paikan ja pari autoakin käyttöön… Koivulla on komea talo Montrealissa mutta eiköhän ostajakin löydy.

Paljon on Montrealia fanitettu ja vielä enemmän pettymyksiä nielty. Lukemattomat pelit on televisiosta tiirattu ja nettiradion kautta on kuunneltu vielä useampi peli. Mutta aikansa kutakin ja ainakin Sakulle avautuu uusi mahdollisuus voittaa se paljon himoittu Stanley Cup. Ja oli osoite kumpi tahansa niin voittaja on myös Suomen olympiajääkiekkojoukkue Vancouverin turnauksessa ensi helmikuussa.