Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

So depending which rumours you believe, we're either trading for Frolov with LA or Cheechoo with SJ.

Frolov would see the Kostitsyn bros going the other way with one or more of O'Byrne, D'Agostini, and Stewart.

Cheechoo would be a three way deal with Ottawa which would send Heatley to SJ.

Guest Low Roller

So you actually think that I take those rumours as being fact? Do I need to specifically voice my position so that you don't always assume the worse about me? The source is Eklund for God's sake.

If Eklund was even half right then Marleau would have been a Hab 15 times by now.

Please give me a little bit more credit.

I think it's fun to speculate on these rumours regardless of how completely senseless they are.

MONTREAL - I called general manager Bob Gainey Monday and received the usual message:

"Hi, this is Bob Gainey. I'm not in. You can leave a message, but don't expect a call back until I do something."

There's no reason to expect a call from Gainey, who was busy last month. He said goodbye to 10 unrestricted free agents and brought in seven new bodies.

The roster appears set with 20 players under contract and about $2 million left to sign restricted free agents Matt D'Agostini and Gregory Stewart.

So why are there all the rumours about an impending trade and some expensive, big-name players?

Perhaps, it's because Gainey himself left the door open on July 1 when he announced the first wave of acquisitions and said he had until October to find the elusive big centre.

Or maybe it's because the salary cap and Dany Heatley's desire to be traded have set forces in motion.

The most common rumour involves a hockey ménage à trois involving San Jose, Ottawa and the Canadiens. The bottom line is Montreal gets big centre Patrick Marleau; Heatley goes to San Jose and Ottawa gets Tomas Plekanec and Jaroslav Halak and/or Roman Hamrlik.

The problem is that the numbers don't add up. All three teams are up against the cap and, while Ottawa and San Jose would get much need relief by dumping Heatley and Marleau, they'd be in the same mess by adding contracts.

There is one scenario that could make sense for the Canadiens if they are interested in Marleau. He carries a $6.3-million cap hit and Montreal could account for most of that by trading Plekanec, who would be redundant, and Andrei Kostitsyn, who could be the next Mike Ribeiro.

Plekanec eaarns $2.75 million and Kostitsyn makes $3.25 million.

But, as long as we're dealing with rumours, I'd like to propose a daring deal guaranteed to produce a Stanley Cup contender: Let's swap the Canadiens straight up for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Guest Low Roller
MONTREAL - I called general manager Bob Gainey Monday and received the usual message:

"Hi' date=' this is Bob Gainey. I'm not in. You can leave a message, but don't expect a call back until I do something."

There's no reason to expect a call from Gainey, who was busy last month. He said goodbye to 10 unrestricted free agents and brought in seven new bodies.

The roster appears set with 20 players under contract and about $2 million left to sign restricted free agents Matt D'Agostini and Gregory Stewart.

So why are there all the rumours about an impending trade and some expensive, big-name players?

Perhaps, it's because Gainey himself left the door open on July 1 when he announced the first wave of acquisitions and said he had until October to find the elusive big centre.

Or maybe it's because the salary cap and Dany Heatley's desire to be traded have set forces in motion.

The most common rumour involves a hockey ménage à trois involving San Jose, Ottawa and the Canadiens. The bottom line is Montreal gets big centre Patrick Marleau; Heatley goes to San Jose and Ottawa gets Tomas Plekanec and Jaroslav Halak and/or Roman Hamrlik.

The problem is that the numbers don't add up. All three teams are up against the cap and, while Ottawa and San Jose would get much need relief by dumping Heatley and Marleau, they'd be in the same mess by adding contracts.

There is one scenario that could make sense for the Canadiens if they are interested in Marleau. He carries a $6.3-million cap hit and Montreal could account for most of that by trading Plekanec, who would be redundant, and Andrei Kostitsyn, who could be the next Mike Ribeiro.

Plekanec eaarns $2.75 million and Kostitsyn makes $3.25 million.

But, as long as we're dealing with rumours, I'd like to propose a daring deal guaranteed to produce a Stanley Cup contender: Let's swap the Canadiens straight up for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

[/quote']

[color:purple]Stop posting this crap you buffoon.

Clearly, someone needs others to tell him what to think. Here's a take from today on the recent Habs-Sens-Sharks rumours for you Roller.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Allen Panzeri reports Senators GM Bryan Murray said there's nothing new to report in the wake of the Edmonton Oilers decision to withdraw its offer for Heatley. Panzeri notes the speculation about a third team getting involved, writing the Canadiens have been mentioned "for no apparent reason" while Murray said that was news to him.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports Canadiens GM Bob Gainey appeared to leave the door open regarding a big trade to land the elusive big first line center but also suggests the salary cap and Heatley's desire to be dealt has set forces in motion. Hickey writes the most common rumor involves a "menage a trois" between the Canadiens, Sharks and Senators in which the Habs get Patrick Marleau, the Sharks get Heatley and the Senators get Tomas Plekanec and Roman Hamrlik and/or Jaroslav Halak but he points out the cap numbers simply don't fit. Hickey suggests the only way that might work for the Canadiens is if they parted with Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn to free up enough cash to afford Marleau's $6.3 million contract.

Mike Boone recently reported "the most fanciful speculation" didn't even involved Marleau: "Heatley to SJ, the Sharks first round draft choice and -wait for it-Mike Cammalleri to Ottawa, Jonathan Cheechoo and Christian Ehrhoff to Montreal".

Spectors note: You can tell it's the dog days of summer as that's when some of the wildest trade scenarios you've ever seen come to light. That last one looks like it was hatched by the same fanciful minds which brought us the Obama birth certificate nonsense. I'm not blaming the reporters, they're merely letting us know what's swirling in the mill, but clearly the originators of some of these rumors aren't working in reality.

They also conveniently overlook the fact Marleau has a no-trade clause, and I daresay he has no intention of accepting a trade to Montreal because the last thing he wants in his life is the pressure that comes with the fishbowl existence of being a Hab. And for those who believe Marleau would do so to "accept a trade back home to Quebec", he was born and raised in Saskatchewan, dum-dums. Not every NHL player with a French last name was born and raised in Quebec. And for that matter, not everyone Quebec-born player is pining to go to Montreal.

It wouldn't surprise me if Murray and Wilson had discussed a trade involving Heatley and I believe Wilson would like to make a major roster shake-up, but he's not going to blow up his roster for an expensive scoring winger. Gainey undoubtedly would love to land a big scoring center but I doubt he's going to make a major trade for one by October, and if his major roster moves this summer work out over the course of the upcoming season he'll be even less inclined to do so. Unless another team gets into the mix I don't believe Heatley will be going to San Jose.

New rumours

1 - The rumoured three - way deal between Montreal, Ottawa and San Jose is actually a five - way deal between Toronto, Boston, San Jose, Ottawa and Montreal. Disgruntled Senators' winger Dany Heatley has expanded his list of teams he would accept to be traded to 27. In fact, Heatley is rumoured to have buckled so badly, that he is now listing three destinations he would refuse to go to, opening up 27 possible scenarios. Ottawa GM Bryan Murray has worked a complicated flip that would see Heatley dealt to Boston for Phil Kessel, who in turn would be shipped to San Jose for Patrick Marleau. Marleau would then be offed to Montreal for Roman Hamrlik, who the Senators would then package with a first round pick to Toronto for Mike Komisarek. As Boston would be way over the cap, they would then aquire Komisarek from Ottawa for Heatley, who failed to add the Senators in his list of three undesirable destinations. Ottawa would then have Heatley on agreeable terms, costing them only a first round pick.

2 - Bob Gainey is whispered to be interested in landing the Kings Alexander Frolov and has called the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch to see if he is available.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

The only contracts that returning Habs are signing are 1 year contracts. So far Latendresse, D'Agostini, Stewart, Chipchura, and Plekanec have signed on for only one year. Everyone else who was FA at the end of last season is gone.

That leaves Gainey with 8 RFAs (including both goalies) and only 3 UFAs for next year to figure out.