Jambands.ca

Fantasy Hockey 09 TRADE DEADLINE TODAY

Hal Johnson

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hal - what we do in my keeper pool is similar, try to weight saves low but also add a negative for goals against. It keeps more goalies in play than a strictly wins + shutouts system, without over-valuing shots on net/saves.

Off the top of my head, our formula is something like this...

Wins 40

Goals against -15

Saves 2

Shutouts 40

OTL 20

... so you can get a relative idea of the weighting. It works well for us.

So Ive tried tinkering with the point allotments and Ive come to one simple conclusion: Thomas Vokoun is a highly underrated (fantasy) goalie.

Im gonna try doing the Dave-o method and make wins worth 4, SO worth 4, saves worth 0.5, and goales against -1...this way Vokoun aint first overall (for last year).

I think making saves worth 0.25 (as you originally proposed) is even better. You also want to make sure that the top goalies don't dramatically out-score the top forwards.

i.e. If the top 3 in overall fantasy scoring were Ovechkin, Malkin, Luongo - you've got it right. If it's Vokoun, Toskala, Bryzgalov - you've got it wrong. ;)

Cool, cool, autodrafters. As long as there's at least 4 of us it should be fun. Im pretty sure the auto picks will be done quickly enough (so long as everyone who is autodrafting lets the system know)...

As for point value and scoring settings I have come up with this, and believe it or not there is a method to the madness: (BTW, Ive spent all morning and half my afternoon trying to figure this crap out, so just go with it, for the love of god)

G (1), A (1), P (1), +/- (.25), PIM (.25), PPP (1), SHG (2), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (.10), W (1), GA (-2), SV (.30), SHO (1)

Oh yeah' date=' anything I have to tick off in the Yahoo system to set it to auto-draft (I poked around but could find nothing), or is just having the list sufficent?[/quote']

I couldn't find anything either. Does it default to autodraft if I'm not logged in when the draft begins, or what?

Im not really sure what will happen. I did one of these before and each guy gets something like 1- 3 minutes to make their pick. If no player is chosen then it autodrafts your pre-ranked guy. If this is the case we may have to opt for the autodraft, cuz like Booche pointed out, it would take forever.

Nonetheless, I've emailed Yahoo to see what they say. I'll keep y'all posted.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I think it looks pretty good!

But just so you know, last season Alex Ovechkin would have finished 14th overall (just behind Huet) in this scoring format.

EDIT to add: If you just tweak your Save number down to 0.25, it makes a big difference. Then the 2008 leaders would look like:

Ovechkin

Brodeur

Iginla

Vokoun

Malkin

Luongo

Zetterberg

Lecavalier

Biron

etc

Edited by Guest