Jambands.ca

voteforenvironment

bouche

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't we just have a referendum for such a voting system....

Vote your riding, then vote for the party?

Yes we did vote for a more representative government during the last election, it was a referendum vote that did not make it through. Too bad IMHO.

Edited by Guest

i tend to agree with the idea of casting votes straight up the ladder (as I thiiiiink they do in the US? Could be way off on this though), seems much more democratic

Nah, they have that electoral college bullshit. Remember when Al Gore won the popular vote?

Not all PC's are painted with the same blue brush. I love this (from today's Canadian Press - it also ran in the Star):

Williams focuses Tory fight on southern Ontario, but won't campaign there

23 hours ago

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Premier Danny Williams is focusing his so-called Anything But Conservative campaign on southern Ontario.

Williams says he recognizes that southern Ontario is a battleground for the federal Conservatives and he wants to remind residents there of the harm Stephen Harper's government has brought to the region.

In an interview today with The Canadian Press, Williams says Finance Minister Jim Flaherty disparaged Ontario when he said that the province was the last place someone would want to invest.

On Monday, the premier's ABC campaign bought a billboard along the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto to remind voters of Flaherty's remarks.

But Williams also says he won't take his campaign outside the province because he didn't think that would be the most effective use of his time.

That's a change from his position earlier this year, when he said he would hit the hustings in Ontario.

didn't we just have a referendum for such a voting system....

Yes, and I voted for it. However, why would the same riding that elects a Con vote to alter its borders, possibly putting their candidate at risk. The reason that the Conservatives won the last election is the same reason the reform didn't go through. Old people fear change.

Or don't understand it. They weren't the only ones either.

True, but many/most people don't really understand the current system either. That's part of the trouble of trying to make improvements -- the proposed solution sounds too complex, although the existing implementation would sound complex too, explained in the same level of detail.

Maybe for a future referendum instead of a Yes/No for PR, it should be

[ ] Check here for MMPR

(Brief explanation)

[ ] Check here for FPTP

(Brief explanation)

[ ] Abstain

That gets you past the 'erm .. this seems complex, I'll just say no' problem. And maybe even randomize the order of the first two selections on the ballots.

Yes, and I voted for it. However, why would the same riding that elects a Con vote to alter its borders, possibly putting their candidate at risk. The reason that the Conservatives won the last election is the same reason the reform didn't go through. Old people fear change.

I thought the Cons were change. If they feared change, wouldn't Paul Martin still be PM?

This website isn't pro-Liberal, it's pro-green. If you are in a riding that can beat the Conservative representative, then vote FOR whatever party is most likely to beat them. If you are green and anti-Harper, then the choice isn't about voting with your heart it should be voting using your head. NOTE: The site recommends voting NDP in many ridings such as Oshawa (down to 100 votes). It's just that the Liberals are gaining ground as I write - the latest poll has the Conservatives at 31% vs the Liberals at 27%. Whatever it is, the majority that Harper wants may be a fleeting dream.

The site recommends voting NDP in many ridings such as Oshawa

Exactly. Don't fuck yourself over in ridings like Oshawa by buying into the strategic voting=voting Liberal trap all over again (which gets you a Conservative MP). In *most* (heavily most) ridings, voting Liberal, if your intent is to just 'stop the Conservatives' works. But be sure you are in one of those ridings first, if you are trying to outsmart the system.

The website isn't half bad. Please do open and read the "Open letter to strategic voters" link, though. Canadian democracy needs your help.

Edited by Guest
fairvote.ca is back up

Not all PC's are painted with the same blue brush. I love this (from today's Canadian Press - it also ran in the Star):

Williams focuses Tory fight on southern Ontario, but won't campaign there

23 hours ago

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Premier Danny Williams is focusing his so-called Anything But Conservative campaign on southern Ontario.

Williams says he recognizes that southern Ontario is a battleground for the federal Conservatives and he wants to remind residents there of the harm Stephen Harper's government has brought to the region.

In an interview today with The Canadian Press, Williams says Finance Minister Jim Flaherty disparaged Ontario when he said that the province was the last place someone would want to invest.

On Monday, the premier's ABC campaign bought a billboard along the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto to remind voters of Flaherty's remarks.

But Williams also says he won't take his campaign outside the province because he didn't think that would be the most effective use of his time.

That's a change from his position earlier this year, when he said he would hit the hustings in Ontario.

Stephen Harper is the leader of the Conservative Party. They dropped the "Progressive" after the Alliance / PC merger. The Progressive Conservative Party of the past doesn't look nearly as bad to me as it once did. Even Joe Clark and Kim Campbell have come out against Harper.

Did you read the post that you are replying to?

Oshawa

Uh...dude, are you trying to tell me that the NDP was the "strategic/second place" choice in Oshawa and because NDP voters voted strategically (for the Liberal) that the riding went Conservative? Do you actually look at the numbers before you imply ridiculous things like that?

Here are the Oshawa results from the last two elections, if anything, this riding is a key example why people SHOULD vote strategically!!

Conservative 29,294

Liberal 25,882

NDP 8,716

Green 2,407

Liberal 25,649

Conservative 20,531

NDP 8,002

Green 2,759

STOP SPREADING BOGUS INFO!!!