Jambands.ca

I'm not sh!tting you. CNN has a fuÇking hologram system tonight,

scottieking

Here's how they are doing it;

CNN's holographic election coverage is fancy pantsy, but how did they manage to send 3D 360 degree footage of virtual correspondent Jessica Yellin from Chicago all the way to the station's election center in NY? As Arthur C. Clarke says, Magic. A magic made possible from technology Vizrt and SportVu with the help of forty-four HD cameras and twenty computers. Here are the details.

On the subject's side:

• 35 HD cameras pointed at the subject in a ring

• Different cameras shoot at different angles (like the matrix), to transmit the entire body image

• The cameras are hooked up to the cameras in home base in NY, synchronizing the angles so perspective is right

• The system is set up in trailers outside Obama and McCain HQ

• Not only is it mechanical tracking via camera communication, there's infrared as well

• Correspondents see a 37-inch plasma where the return feed of the combined images are fed back to them. Useful for a misplaced hair or an unseemly boogar

• Twenty "computers" are crunching this data in order to make it usable

Here's how they are doing it;

CNN's holographic election coverage is fancy pantsy, but how did they manage to send 3D 360 degree footage of virtual correspondent Jessica Yellin from Chicago all the way to the station's election center in NY? As Arthur C. Clarke says, Magic. A magic made possible from technology Vizrt and SportVu with the help of forty-four HD cameras and twenty computers. Here are the details.

On the subject's side:

• 35 HD cameras pointed at the subject in a ring

• Different cameras shoot at different angles (like the matrix), to transmit the entire body image

• The cameras are hooked up to the cameras in home base in NY, synchronizing the angles so perspective is right

• The system is set up in trailers outside Obama and McCain HQ

• Not only is it mechanical tracking via camera communication, there's infrared as well

• Correspondents see a 37-inch plasma where the return feed of the combined images are fed back to them. Useful for a misplaced hair or an unseemly boogar

• Twenty "computers" are crunching this data in order to make it usable

wow. all that technology for something that looked like shit

The distance of the cameras to person being recorded shouldn't be a factor on the other side, though, right? (Where Anderson Cooper or Wolf Blitzer are standing). My guess is that there is a projector and the hosts are told to keep a safe distance so as to not interfere with the projection.

(That'd be hard -- I'd totally want to swipe my hand through the image)

Goes back to dinghy's question, too:

My question is...does Wolf really see the Hologram, or just us folks at home?

Fack, CNN should just do a 'behind the scenes of the election night coverage' show.

The distance of the cameras to person being recorded shouldn't be a factor on the other side, though, right? (Where Anderson Cooper or Wolf Blitzer are standing). My guess is that there is a projector and the hosts are told to keep a safe distance so as to not interfere with the projection.

(That'd be hard -- I'd totally want to swipe my hand through the image)

Goes back to dinghy's question, too:

My question is...does Wolf really see the Hologram, or just us folks at home?

Fack, CNN should just do a 'behind the scenes of the election night coverage' show.

I'll have to consult Ollie on the specs.