Jambands.ca

breaking election news

larry_llama

Which conclusion?

well i guess these aren't conclusions as much as statements, but i still don't think they're logical. but logic's not a prerequisite on this board or the internet in general. :)

American voters turn out in record numbers to bring in a progressive leader, make Canadian voters look like a bunch of backwater hicks who fear change and won't vote

Whether Canadians vote or not has nothing to do with the American election. Whether we're perceived as backwater hicks or not has nothing to do with what another country does with their democracy. Do Canadians fear change?

If at much was at stake in a Canadian election as there was in this previous U.S. election you would see higher turn outs. If Canada had been subjected to 8 years of Bush and threatened by a McCain/Palin ticket, people would have been out in record numbers up here too...

If if if... Oh well. I get the sentiment, people are happy about Obama and disappointed about Canada's election. There's no real correlation though in these examples. Carry on.

well i guess these aren't conclusions as much as statements, but i still don't think they're logical. but logic's not a prerequisite on this board or the internet in general. :)

Haha, true and fair enough. I was having trouble following the plot though and thought that maybe you'd taken issue with one or two previous commenter's statements and attributed those sentiments to YATS.

• 1 month later...

I believe there is a much wider poitical gap between the Republicans and Democrats then exists between our two major parties (at least socially)

In Canada there is not such a gap, Conservative or Liberal doesnt really affect the social fabric too much. both parties are fairly central on the spectrum....maybe that contributes to voter apathy? the notion that we will remain a fairly socially 'liberal' society regardless...

I believe that to be the case, so I cast my vote in favor of the party who I think can provide the most responsible fiscal policy, therefor I voted for Harper...

also Dion seemed like a douche bag

the notion that we will remain a fairly socially 'liberal' society regardless...I believe (that) to be the case, so I cast my vote in favor of the party who I think can provide the most responsible fiscal policy, therefor I voted for Harper...

So not really using your vote to influence any sort of foresight and change?

Way to keep the status quo rolling along, buddy.

So not really using your vote to influence any sort of foresight and change?

Way to keep the status quo rolling along, buddy.

i think the status quo in Canada is pretty great actually. sure I disagree with a few policy items (drug penaltes, afghanistan) but on the whole I thnk we live in an amazing, free, tolerant, demoratic society, and the thing that wil enable us (our government) to continue providing all the increadable services it does is wealth. so I go where the money is....show me the money.

i think the status quo in Canada is pretty great actually. sure I disagree with a few policy items (drug penaltes, afghanistan) but on the whole I thnk we live in an amazing, free, tolerant, demoratic society, and the thing that wil enable us (our government) to continue providing all the increadable services it does is wealth. so I go where the money is....show me the money.

I am so glad you didn't take that too harshly.

I also believe that we live in a great place here in Canada. Unfortunately, 'Society' is not the Government, and as a whole, our Government isn't always doing what is best for 'society' in my opinion. Quietly managing it enough to not really do much to move us forward isn't really that inspirational.

if spending is really the issue, and getting you money is an issue, then how did your vote accomplish this?

Maybe this would be best to revisit after the budget?

I find it entirely unfortunate that Canadians, as smart as we are, have to be sold a platform and its ideas.

Why should we need a pitch? Every election I feel marginalized by the 'not too soft but not too hard' sales approach of the major parties.

I bet we'll see a big change in parliament yet again in the next couple of months.

I suppose that it IS just money and we can always print more. It's actually worth anything anyway.