Jambands.ca

Canvassing Chili Recipes

ollie

I made a batch of chili once using (cubed) steak, coated in seasoned flour and then browned in oil with diced onions. After that, I added (IIRC) a tin of red kidney beans (rinsed), and a large can of diced tomatoes (drained). There was also some chipotle pepper (from a can) and about half a tall-boy of a decent ale. I threw some frozen corn in near the end. You could easily substitute diced fresh plum tomatoes (four or six, maybe) for the canned tomatoes, and a bell pepper or two would also be a good addition. (I think that'll make a bunch of servings; it also freezes well.)

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

good idea Ollie. I could use skank-tested chili recipe ( I know you're hoping for M.O.B.E. posts )

You nearly can't go wrong though. If you are using a crock pot, or have a way to simmer it really long, almost any recipe will do that calls for you to just dump everything together. Whatever you find, you'll need to make sure that you have on hand, canned tomatoes, chili powder (no f'n way!), garlic, onion, meat (try ground turkeY and pork!), and probably some other aromatics depending on the recipe. I think cocoa is used sometimes.

I'm due for a good chili too, so I hope to see something worth reproducing here as well.

Chili

1-lb hamburger

1 green pepper ,chopped

1 onion ,chopped

28oz can tomatoes

1 can tomato soup plus 3/4 can water

1 red hot pepper

1/4 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp garlic salt

Pepper

1to 2 tsp chili powder

1 can red kidney beans

Brown meat.Mix all ingredients ,except kidney beans in a large pot and simmer for an hour.Add kidney beans before serving.

I've got some chili in the slow cooker right now.

I used half lean ground beef/half sausage, onions, garlic, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, celery, cumin, cayenne, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper, sugar, red kidney beans, black beans, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. I have some corn to throw in later too.

And some cheese and fresh onions chopped up for serving.

Yay chili!!