Jambands.ca

Bitter-Sweet CBC prize

Large Marge

So I won a scarf on CBC Radio 3 when they used my question during an interview with Jason Collette. It arrived and is absolutely gorgeous! Totally old-school; blue with a big red CBC logo and "Radio 3" emblazoned across a gold stripe. My only dream now is to put it on and pose for with Ron McLean.

The kicker was when I opened it up to find a big US flag label that boldly stated "Made in the USA means jobs kept in the USA". Wha? Like a slap in the face I tell ya! I wrote a letter to them today and provided contact info for some Canadian manufacturers... hopefully they stop sending out CBC product with U.S. flags and messaging all over it.

What I want to know is why publicly-funded organizations/companies are not mandated to implement local or at least domestic procurement policies? Why would we want to fund them to buy stuff that "keeps jobs in the USA"?

I can understand that Tim. I'm really only looking at it from the thread topic point of view though. I mean its sorta disappointing to see a US flag adorned on a CBC product.

I guess I'd just like to see Canadian public funded companies spend their funding in Canada.

I guess it comes down to how much these scarves cost, and also how many people are buying them - I mean are they selling (or giving away) that many of them that the cost is better spent in the US? (rhetorical)

Trust me, the CBC is management-heavy. Travel costs for management are massive in this place and a lot of it is not really required. I used to work in one area of the Corp where this was abused ridiculously, IMHO. Could you imagine living in Vancouver, Halifax, Calgary and travelling to Toronto to work a few days EVERY week?! AND you get to keep all you air miles to fly your family down to Florida for vacation? You'd think those air miles would be pooled back into the company to lessen the costs of future airfares (but those who travel, see the points as a perk). UGH.

As for funding, more than half of the CBC's funding is raised via Media Sales. So, less than half of my paycheck is provided by you guys (who pay your taxes that is) ;):D

I work for a German company and am charged with purchasing from time to time if it is technical stuff. I have, on several occasions, been ordered to buy said technical device/machine from Germany regardless of price to help support the Motherland. Good policy if you ask me...especially if other, better economies around the world are doing it.

Is it really any different than sending thousands of University grads a year from Canada out to teach English in all kinds of foreign countries; only to loose jobs in Canada in call/support centres to countries such as India?

Edited by Guest

Yes, I suppose that is why we are training them, but aren't we just shooting ourselves in the foot by doing so? Call centre's may not be the best jobs in the world but they are jobs, jobs that are needed here. If you don't believe me, just ask somebody from Cape Breton what those jobs have meant to them.

Is it really any different than sending thousands of University grads a year from Canada out to teach English in all kinds of foreign countries; only to loose jobs in Canada in call/support centres to countries such as India?

People aren't being "sent" by the government, they are going of their own volition. And most of them aren't going to India because, thanks to colonisation, English is already widely spoken in India - at least in the major urban areas anyway, which is where most of the call centres end up.