Jambands.ca

OK.. Top 10 CDs of the Year Thread..

shainhouse

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

2. The Felice Brother - The Felice Brothers

3. NQ Arbuckle - X O K

4. Beija Flor - The American

5. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

6. Mother Mother - O My Heart

7. Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows

8. Plants And Animals - Parc Avenue

9. Blitzen Trapper - Furr

10.Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark

Honourable Mention:

BA Johnston - Stairway To Hamilton

The Grass - Report All Ghosts

Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea

Its easy to forget titles when you vary your listening over the course of a year past titles that start "Grateful Dead- ......" and when you don't have time online to research every iota of every post you make. I pulled that list of 10 off of the top of my head in about 4 minutes just remembering which discs rocked my truck a bit this past year.

That being said, its shooting fish in a barrell to say its very subjective to be judging music- tell us something we don't know. For me threads like these are more of an informative thing. I will now go and seek out this Bon Iver disc which I have never heard.

Thanks to all who take the time to submit lists like these, they are always a source of new music for me....

Sean

For me threads like these are more of an informative thing. I will now go and seek out this Bon Iver disc which I have never heard.

Thanks to all who take the time to submit lists like these, they are always a source of new music for me....

Sean

Agreed Sean. A great way to find new music I have not heard.

I just listened to the new Bela Fleck and the Flecktones album "Jingle All the Way" and I can't believe how awesome it is. It's easily the best Christmas album I've ever heard and I don't even really like Christmas songs (or the Flecktones for that matter).

Bela's been in Africa making a documentary so the only vocals on the album are throat-warbling and the interpretations of the songs are off the wall and played perfectly.

If you like Bela, or Christmas, or ripping banjo solos, or Africa check this mofo out!

this reminds me of a HST quote, to wit:

"I resent your assumption that Music is Not My Bag (or whatever you said)… because I’ve been arguing for the past few years that music is the New Literature, that Dylan is the 1960’s answer to Hemingway, and that the main voice of the ’70’s will be on records & videotape instead of books [god, I wonder what he would have thought of podcasts and vlogs].

But by "music" I don’t mean the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. If the Grateful Dead came to town, I’d beat my way in with a fucking tire iron, if necessary. I think Workingman’s Dead is the heaviest thing since Highway 61 and "Mr. Tambourine Man" (with the possible exception of the Stones’ last two albums … and the definite exception of Herbie Mann’s Memphis Underground, which may be the best album cut by anybody). And that might make a good feature: some kind of poll on the Best Album of the 60s … or, "Where it was at in the Rock Age." Because the ’60s are going to go down like a repeat, somehow, of the 1920s; the parallels are too gross for even historians to ignore.

So, for whatever it’s worth - to either one of us, for that matter - here’s the list from Raoul Duke:

2) "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bringing It All Back Home) Zimmerman

3) Highway 61 … Zimmerman

4) Workingman’s Dead … Warlocks et al.

5) Let It Bleed

6) Buffalo Springfield first album

7) Surrealistic Pillow

8) Roland Kirk - various albums

9) Sketches of Spain … M. Davis

10) Sandy Bull … #2

Jesus, what a hassle to even think quickly about a list like that. Even now I can think of 10 more I might have added … but what the fuck, it’s only a rude idea. But a good one, I think, and particularly for RS. The implications of the final list would vibrate far beyond the actual music … it would be a very heavy fucking document. You may want to give it some thought ….

OK for now. I have all the fotos together & I’m sending them along with brief captions, so we can get this thing started.

Ciao …

Hunter"

Did you bother taking a look at the albums coming out before the end of the year? I did, and I can safely say that I won't personally be listening to any of them.

So, you have already reviewed albums you havent listened to and they dont make your grade. Way to go champ!

Did you bother taking a look at the albums coming out before the end of the year? I did' date=' and I can safely say that I won't personally be listening to any of them.[/quote']

So, you have already reviewed albums you havent listened to and they dont make your grade. Way to go champ!

Champ or Roger Ebert Jr?

Guest Low Roller

Despite Booche's taunts, he can safely go fuck himself, and I can calmy admit I'm wrong because I must add to my list the new Neil Young Archives album "Sugar Mountain" to the list of best album of the year! Oh yeah!

Sean

Well said! I echo your sentiment. My advice for future thread-makers is to leave the "Top 10" out of your post title...just call it "Picks of the Year" or "Favourite albums of 2008" or something.

Don't give AngryBooche any ammo, he'll grab any opening to shit all over you...

cheers

Guest Low Roller

You're probably right. We should just title these threads "Please don't shit all over me Booche, but so far this year I've enjoyed the following polyphonic recordings."

Guest Low Roller

Here's Rolling Stones' Top 50 for 2008:

1. TV on the Radio: Dear Science

2. Bob Dylan: Tell Tale Signs — The Bootleg Series Vol. 8

3. Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III

4. My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges

5. John Mellencamp: Life, Death, Love and Freedom

6. Santogold: Santogold

7. Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

8. Beck: Modern Guilt

9. Metallica: Death Magnetic

10. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend

11. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes

12. Guns n' Roses: Chinese Democracy

13. Blitzen Trapper: Furr

14. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals: Cardinology

15. The Black Keys: Attack & Release

16. Randy Newman: Harps and Angels

17. B.B. King: One Kind Favor

18. Lucinda Williams: Little Honey

19. Erykah Badu: New Amerykah: Part 1 (4th World War)

20. Kings of Leon: Only by the Night

21. Kaiser Chiefs: Off With Their Heads

22. Jackson Browne: Time the Conquerer

23. Conor Oberst: Conor Oberst

24. Girl Talk: Feed the Animals

25. The Magnetic Fields: Distortion

26. Mudcrutch: Mudcrutch

27. Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun

28. The Knux: Remind Me in Three Days…

29. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago

30. Duffy: Rockferry

31. MGMT: Oracular Spectacular

32. Jamey Johnson: The Lonesome Song

33. Ne-Yo: Year of the Gentleman

34. Stephen Malkmus: Real Emotional Trash

35. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

36. The Hold Steady: Stay Positive

37. Nine Inch Nails: The Slip

38. Ra Ra Riot: The Rhumb Line

39. Taylor Swift: Fearless

40. Jonas Brothers: A Little Bit Longer

41. AC/DC: Black Ice

42. David Byrne and Brian Eno: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

43. Nas: Untitled

44. The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely

45. Be Your Own Pet: Get Awkward

46. The Academy Is…: Fast Times at Barrington High

47. Of Montreal: Skeletal Lamping

48. Raphael Saadiq: The Way I See It

49. Hot Chip: Made in the Dark

50. No Age: Nouns

in no particular order:

Xavier Rudd: Dark Shades of Blue

Thievery Corporation: Radio Retaliation

Spearhead: All Rebel Rockers

TV on the Radio: Dear Science

Souljazz Orchestra: Manifesto

Saul Williams: the Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust (CD version)

The Herbaliser: Same As It Never Was

Everlast: Love, War and the Ghost of Whitey Ford

Tricky: Knowle West Boy (good album...the live show: not so much...)

Erykah Badu: New Amerykah (part 1)

Edited by Guest

grinds-my-gears1.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? All these Best Of Lists we see generated at this time of year on this stupid board. Guess what? There is almost a month and a half to go before the year is over morons. And besides that, how the fuck do some of you forget to put certain items on the list. Obviously it ain’t all that Best Of if you chose not to include said item in the first place. So what makes album of the year – gorgeous piece of work you rarely listen to or the light, fun record you listen to everyday? Or is it because you read it because someone fucking told you because its on someone else’s list? Ding ding ding. Bastards. And where do you get all this money to buy all these albums? Selling drugs? Either that or you steal them, which is where I am hedging my bet. You people degrade my society and that is what really grinds my gears.

Since when is 34 days a month and a half?