Jambands.ca

Moussaka

M.O.B.E

1 lb of eggplant

2/3 cup Olive Oil

1 large onion diced

2-3 cloves of diced garlic

2 lbs of ground lamb***

1 small can of diced or crushed tomatoes.

1 TBSP of flour

3-4 diced tomatoes

4 TBSP of chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp of dried

2 TBSP of chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp of dried

Salt and pepper

1 1/4 cups of plain yogurt or Tziki

2 eggs

1/2 cup of crumbled Feta Cheese

1/2 cup of grated Parmesean cheese ( I prefer Asiago)

1. Slice the eggplant thinly and season with salt and pepper. In a hot skillet and with soeme Olive Oil, fry the eggplant until just golden. Layer in a caserol/baking dish.

2. In another hot skillet, add Olive Oil and onions and garlic, saute until the onions are clear. Add in the lamb*** and diced tomatoes and season with half the herbs and salt and pepper. Saute until meat is browned.

3. Add in the flour and mix well.

4. Add in the canned tomatos and the rest of the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for approx 20 minutes.

5. Pour over the eggplant and spread evenly.

6. Beat together the eggs, yogurt and cheese and season with only pepper (feta should be salty enough to carry it)

7. Pour over the meat mixture and spread evenly. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

8. Smash some plates, yell "OPA!" and have a shot of Ouzo, and then enjoy.

*** instead of lamb and any kind of ground meat or veggie protien can be substituted. I also add some ground fennel seed and a couple pinches of celery salt when Im cooking the meat because I like it. Also if you arnt to keen on Feta, try using Canadian Feta, it has a very mild flavour compared to Greek or Macedonian Feta.