Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Neil Young in Ottawa tonight!

Velvet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just heading out now.

I set up the show this morning....going now to watch Neil and pack him up. I got a picture standing beside his big microphone from Rust Never Sleeps-will have to put it on my myspace since I don't have a single picture there.

I got tickets for my daughter who plays guitar and my step daugther and two friends to take them to the show so all is well...keep on rocking in the free world!

Guest Low Roller

Tonight a great wrong was set right. Back in 1996 I skipped on a chance to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse play at the Corel Centre because of university commitments. Twelve years later and once again facing pressure from university commitments I said to myself "Self, fuck it. It's Neil Young. What's the problem here?"

Sure it's 1:30AM and I have three deadlines for tomorrow which will keep me up until dawn to finish, and least I'll be working on that stuff with a big 'ol smile on my face because I saw Neil Young tonight.

Can I be critical for a moment?

Everything was great up until Sea Change, but that song and Worlds Collide are both TERRIBLE. They have no place in the setlist. I'd rather hear Wesley Willis sing The Messiah than hear Worlds Collide again.

But, Oh, Lonesome Me, Unknown Legend, Old Man with the tech playing banjo (I don't remember that from previous times seeing Neil) were all amazing highlights that I'll always remember. Love and Only Love was a great way to start the show. Loved hearing Powderfinger. I'm sure I've heard it live before but it always impresses me. The acoustic part of the set was perfect.

I couldn't believe how he abused Old Black at the end of the show. I felt bad for the guitar. I've never seen him do this before either. Has he been doing that on this tour or was he perhaps pissed at butchering part of A Day in the Life?

Good show. Happy I went. Plus I was about 15 rows from the stage, right in front of Neil. That helps a lot.

If Neil plays a song I'm not crazy about I take it as a personal fault and hope that someday I'll catch up with him (memories of David Geffen). Yes, I hold him in that high of esteem.

I too mentioned at the end how much he beat up that paintballed Goldtop of his. Hurtful and glorious to watch.

Guest Low Roller

I'm with AD. I don't mind hearing tunes I don't know, but that unknowns set dragged on and killed the crowd. He has much better B-sides he could have chosen.

But the rest of the gig more than made up for it.

I saw him do much worse to Old Black at the last Crazy Horse show I went to in Ottawa (which was the crazy horse tour before the Greendale tour). I was commenting to my buddy last night that Larry Cragg has to be the hardest working guitar tech in the biz, since Pete Townshend just gets a new guitar ever gig :)

I thought the show was pretty much perfect. Great transition from the Crazy Horse material to the acoustic stuff. Mother Earth was incredible. Unknown Legend was brilliant. His guitar tone in Hey Hey My My just about makes me go bezerk. I really enjoyed the new songs too, I thought they fit in great. Goddamn.

actually, I will complain about getting out of there after the show. total clusterfuck to the 417 - took 45 minutes. my plan was unsuccesful.

you gotta learn the backroads and shortcuts!! i used rubberdinghy's route (Carling -> Moodie -> Timm -> Katimavik) and got from westboro to the show and parked in 30 minutes, got out of the lot and home to centretown in 35. :)

maybe i shouldn't have posted that. hmmm

I had no problem with the arrival and departure either. The usual traffic problems associated with that place didn't happen last night.

Some observations I've made comparing the driving and parking situation between concerts and hockey games:

- more people carpool to concerts than hockey games.

- generally, there's way fewer people at a concert compared to a game

- but, more people take the bus to hockey games compared to concerts.

loved the show! that was my first wilco experience [i haven't really listened to them] and i liked it a lot. i forgot that they do california stars, that was a nice surprise for me.

neil was excellent, as always! good mix of old and new. loved 'old man' in particular, not sure why that one stands out.

we snuck out just before the end of 'day in the life' and had no problems. on the 417 a girl got in a big accident and smashed the front of her car to pieces just ahead of us so we stopped to check on her... we were pretty surprised that we were the only ones to stop! she was fine. anyway... please stop if you see me crash my car.

great show :)