Jambands.ca

TekSavvy - thoughts?

Big Wooly Mammoth

I'm thinking of signing up with them for my internet service. I have had it with Rogers. (I bought a new computer and now have the HD space to DL lots'o'stuff. And quickly found out they have a 60 GB limit. Once I received the email notifying me that I reached the limit, I was actually at 120% of the limit and owed an extra $24.)

So, TekSavvy still has throttling issues b/c of Bell, but how bad is it? Any experience with their webmail system? trying to decide between TekSavvy or gmail as my main email address.

Another option is the National Capital Freenet (NCF). They actually buy their lines from TekSavvy so they ahve the exact same bandwidth issues. And they are the exact same price. But it'd be a different webmail application, I suppose. And they support the local community.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is appreciated.

I used Teksavvy for a while before leaving the country. The house is still signed up with them in my name so I get their updates and notices. NOthing negative to say. Fair pricing, friendly service, good peeps. As for the throttling, it hits late afternoon and goes late into the night. Only really affects torrents though (as per my september experiences).

Can't vouch for their mail as I never used it.

When I was doing my research to try to find an alternative when Cogeco started throttling me and capping me at 60Gigs/month I found that TekSavvy had the best reviews. They are Canadian too. I talked with their customer support and they were friendly, smart, and actually discouraged me from signing up since they couldn't promise me the speed that they were selling me (due to Bell's crappy infrastructure in Oakville).

I'm ready to jump to them as soon as Bell upgrades this area (not crossing my fingers). In the meantime, i've stuck with Cogeco who provide a solid service ... just wish it wasn't so limiting. My way around it was to sign on with Rapidshare for all my downloading needs and rarely torrent much at all these days.

• 2 years later...

Looks like I now finally have the ability to get TekSavvy (since Bells backbone before wasn't up to snuff 'round here for good speeds).

Been wanting to switch ever since I moved here (7 years ago). May just have to call them up (they are great on the phone) and get some advice on going DSL with a dry loop, or cable with them.

Thanks for posting the update on this great Canadian ISP.

Hey Kev-

What kind of deal did you get?

I'm currently with Cogeco for everything and often go over the 60gig/month allotment and pay hefty penalties (average $30-50/month).

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

Jay, TekSavvy will provide cable internet over the current cable backbone in the area. To bail out on Cogeco requires you to call them. They then try to offer you "deals" (essentially pittance and a contract ... barf). They then tell you it's 30 days notice so they suck another month of billing out of you :P

With TekSavvy, call them up and have a friendly, intelligent conversation with the skills of English as a comprehensible language for communicating staff ;) They'll help and advise you with all your questions.

I went with this deal:

TekSavvy

Express Cable

Up to 10 Mbps (dl)

Up to 512 K (ul)

300Gig

$36.95/month

I purchased the SB6120 modem through them. This one will be ready for speed upgrades. They said they'd be upping to 30Mbps service soon without a change in pricing :D

So, an upfront charge of $166 for modem/activation/signup/rist month/etc then just the monthly cost after that.

Working out to be $20 cheaper/month for me with 5X the traffic allowed, flexibility to change plans/speeds/etc.

Also, I suggest going with Vonage.ca for your VOIP phone. Much cheaper than any of the big providers. I've had it for years and love it. TONS of features and only $20 a month!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

I'm using Acanac.. I think it costed me $20 or $25 per month month for one year, in one lump sum payment. Dry loop DSL. Not sure of the downloading caps. The customer service has sucked, in my experience. I think once my year is up I'll switch to someone else - probably TekSavvy!

Thanks Kev!

I'm liking what I'm hearing...

I'll let you know how things roll out. My activation date is March 12 and Cogeblow leaves on March 13.

There are other pricing options too. Just check out their website. You can also go the DSL route (through the phone lines). You'll get a max of 5M download, but can go for UNLIMITED bandwidth for $39 a month.

• 1 month later...

I have given my notice to Acanac and will be joining TekSavvy at the start of the month. How has it been so far Kev? Here is a basic question - what are the main factors I should be taking into account in deciding between DSL Dry Loop (which is my current set up with Acanac) or cable, besides speed? I've confirmed that TekSavvy can provide either at my address.

I have given my notice to Acanac and will be joining TekSavvy at the start of the month. How has it been so far Kev? Here is a basic question - what are the main factors I should be taking into account in deciding between DSL Dry Loop (which is my current set up with Acanac) or cable, besides speed? I've confirmed that TekSavvy can provide either at my address.

Sadly, I couldn't get signed-up. They had been given my postal code as one they could now service from Cogeco/Bell. They had my account set up and ready for install. Then they had to contact me to apologize profusely as Rogers had then yanked my postal code back from them. TekSavvy said that they do this from time to time since they don't want to give up neighbourhoods to competition. I WILL switch as soon as I can though.

If you have the choice, go cable. It's faster up/down and cheaper I believe. No need for the dry-loop and having to deal with Bell at all ;)

Give their customer service a call with any questions. They truly know their shit, and can explain your best options.

Good luck.

I went for the "Lite Cable" deal which is even slower, only 3 Mbps. I'm not internet-literate enough to know what this mean - hoping that I can still stream music and YouTube videos without issue...?

Anyways, so my deal is:

Cost: $28/month

Download Speed: 3 Mbps

Gig cap: 300

Hope it works!

• 4 months later...

No complaints here flipzo.. It's still working without a hitch!

When I got it installed I do recall something coming up where there was a possible scenario that would have me forking over an extra $100+ to Rogers for something or other, in order for me to be able to enable TekSavvy's services. And TekSavvy could not give me a definite yes or no as to whether this would happen or not. I found that annoying. Luckily though, I didn't have to pay this extra bit.