Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offer refused by bus workers*:

1) 7% wage increase over 3 years

-Starting wage for 2007 for driver: $24.23** up to $25.93 after 3 years (or $50398 up to $53926 after the 3 years based on 40 hour work weeks, 52 weeks per year).

2) 8 days uncertified sick leave

3) advancements in the union position in terms of contracting out and scheduling

*Source: http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/local/article/152291

**Source: http://206.191.16.137/datasum/current%20English/0376209s.pdf

Wow... thats as much as I make and I had to go to school for 3 years and spend 30$K to get there. that and start at 40k a year and work for 3 years to get that kind of pay. and I am a freaking engineer.

Edited by Guest

Holy fuck mattm...who pissed in your corn flakes....

I cannot believe I was just called an asshole on this board. As far as I'm concerned Mattm you can go fuck yourself.

How many of you here work Monday to Friday 9-5?

What if your boss told you that starting in January you have to work 6am-9am then 2pm to 5pm and that because you are only working 6 hours a day you have work 13 of 14 days, guaranteed only every second Sunday off.

How many of you would do it? Seriously...(I am quite happy with my 11-7 shift)

Also, if we are in such hard economic times, why has the city offered us a $2000 signing bonus? That's $4 million dollars that we didn't ask for.

Apparently the city has plenty of money to throw around.

[color:purple]Thanks for all the positive vibes folks...I really appreciate it.

You really think I want to go on strike.

What if your boss told you that starting in January you have to work 6am-9am then 2pm to 5pm and that because you are only working 6 hours a day you have work 13 of 14 days, guaranteed only every second Sunday off.

Ew. Is it literally that bad?

I can see fighting for that. You lose your life in that scenario.

AD is right though in that most everyone is affected and we are all pissed off. I'm sorry Dinghy because you are stressed in a much different manner. I still love you.

Um yeah...why do you think we are taking such a hard stance on this.

Unfortunately, due to the wording by the city in the contract nobody knows what we are fighting for.

and then there is the other side....10 hour days with six days off.

Then there is the middle...

Monday 10-6 Tuesday 12-9 Wed Split Thursday 7pm-3am...and so on...........which I would most likely get stuck with.

I enjoy my weekends off.

Guest Low Roller

DING! The clock has hit midnight, and our public transport has become a giant pumpkin.

I wonder if I can sue to get the portion of my annual bus pass lost to the strike back?

I wonder if I can sue to get the portion of my annual bus pass lost to the strike back?

If monthly passes are able to be redeemed for credit, I'm just guessing that annual passes can be as well. Call OC Transpo.

I’ve already paid for this month’s transit pass and Park & Ride permit? Will I be reimbursed for the period of the disruption?

Yes. Please hold on to your transit pass and Park & Ride permit. They will serve as credits towards the purchase of future passes. Simply bring your December pass with you when you renew.

Transit service has stopped, yet I continue to have funds withdrawn from my bank account for my ECOPASS. Why am I continuing to pay for service I’m not receiving?

The automatic deductions you already have in place for ECOPASS will continue during the service disruption. The City will ensure that you and other ECOPASS subscribers are credited for this period of the disruption after the service resumes.

Hey rubberdinghy, I'm sorry you hate me. I'm bitter because the strike is a real kick in lots of folks asses and it's not a good time. Summer maybe, when people could at least walk/run/jog/bike/etc to work. Hard times man, for everyone.

Do I take what I said back? Sorry, can't do that. It's winter, it's cold, it's exam time, school kids depend on busses to get to school, money gone from their budgets which means activity cuts. $27000 from the students to pay for the shuttles, that's just carleton, not sure about the other schools.

But it's folks like the ones I quote below that make me bitter:

My husband is the sole money maker in our family and if the buses strike tomorow he will no longer be able to get to work. As a low-income family of 6, the newest member being only a week old, we are very worried about how we will make ends meet if the strike last more then a day. We can not afford for him to miss any more work then that. We understand that OC transpo people like having their pick of work days, we would apreciate if they considered those of us who will truly suffer if this strike happens.

What about the people who can't get to work? what about the kids who won't make it to school? what about anyone who doesn't live close to the grocery store? what about those of us who rely on the buses to simply live day to day?

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081209/OTT_Strike_081209/20081209/?hub=OttawaHome

Ollie, call me maudlin and make fun all you want, that's cool. Slightly over the top I'd also agree but yeah, I feel bad for others, not just me sometimes.

Rubber, I feel for you too. Those shifts stink and I know where you're coming from. My first many jobs were in factories, much less pay, harder work and shittier shifts so I know that you need to sometimes fight and I've been on your end in the union, but there are times for things. Right now is christmas time. Not only that, I turn on the news and see thousands of job cuts, wage cuts (up to 15% at my work), etc. It's cold out and there are kids to think about. Strike at a better time when those hit hardest aren't royally fucked. I apologize for thinking that perhaps this is a time when we should help each other, I just hate seeing it become harder than it already is.

That is all