Jambands.ca

Satriani vs. Coldplay

boiler

Guitarist sues over 2008 Coldplay hit

3 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A noted guitarist has sued members of Coldplay, claiming the band's smash hit "Viva La Vida" copied parts of one of his songs.

The copyright infringement lawsuit by Joe Satriani was filed Thursday in federal court in Los Angeles.

The 52-year-old claims Coldplay copied "substantial, original portions" of his 2004 song, "If I Could Fly." The Coldplay hit, which was nominated for a Grammy this week, has topped charts around the world and been used to sell iPods in commercials.

Representatives for the band and their label, Capitol Records, did not return calls seeking comment on Friday.

Satriani wants a federal judge to order an accounting so he can determine how much money he may be owed, or else stop using the song.

Guest Low Roller

That is awfully close... However Joe Satriani is the second person to sue Coldplay over that song. There is some other band called the Creaky Boards, or something equally stupid, that cried foul last year when the song came out. Let's take a listen:

With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song 'Viva La Vida.' We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MUSIC_COLDPLAY?SITE=AP

Aloha,

Brad

I'm not a Coldplay fan or anything, but I have a hard time imagining that they deliberately ripped off Joe Satriani. A couple of years ago they had that song* that was pretty much entirely based on Kraftwerk's "Computer Love"; apparently, Coldplay first asked Kraftwerk for permission to use their ideas, and then cut them in as co-writers on the track. It seems odd that they would go out of their way to get permission from one artist while stealing from another. But then, I guess you never know.

*I dunno what it's called and can't be bothered to google it - that's why we employ the services of BradM - but I remember hearing the track and being struck immediately by the resemblance to Computer Love.

Damning evidence against Coldplay, from 2005.

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Chris said:

“We’re definitely good, but I don’t think you can say we’re that original,†he notes. “I regard us as being incredibly good plagiarists.â€

I heard Joe Satriani tried to contact Coldplay for about a year about the song but nver got a reply so decided to go the route he has.

Source: my boss

The album came out in June, so your boss' timeline may be wrong. He's probably right about trying to reach them though.

Satch probably has some ownership of hordes of pop songs...that nobody ever listened to actively but stuck somewhere in our heads, from a commercial, sports clip, guitar article on television or soundclip somewhere.

I've probably ripped off about 50 Satriani songs i've never ever heard, even subconsciously.

With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani' date=' we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song 'Viva La Vida.' We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and [b']wish him well with all future endeavours.

When did Joe Satriani get fired by the WWE?