Jambands.ca

Ottawa property tax goes up 4.9% in 2009. Your stupid arts festival saved.

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk of lost jobs...ummm..hey folks people work in Arts and Culture.Lots of them.

Allison,

I hear what you are saying, but my point was directly in response to this. Nothing more and nothing less than the idea of job loss.

For what it's worth, I actually don't know much about the city of Ottawa's budget and/or services and never claimed to.

I've been watching my own municipal council lately like a hawk as they continually f up any sort of arts and culture project put forth by my municipality and I find it frustrating.

Out of all of our councilors, there's only one that I can say without a doubt is a supporter of A&C and she's got a tough job going up against the boneheads who sit next to her.

We also have a very large theatre project underway who just got a huge grant from the municipality, and so now little to no funding exists for all of the smaller projects, which is super sad. But in it being super sad, I'm also very glad the theatre got the money.

I can't support the idea though that 'arts and culture' should never be cut, because sometimes, as nasty, dirty and unpopular as they are, cuts are necessary (which is why I asked about basic services in my original post).

In an ideal world, I'd love to give money to every little theatre group, folk musician and struggling artist out there, for sure. But if plows aren't plowing roads and streets, buses are on strike, water is backing up in sewers, drinking water is unsafe, I still think that should take precedence.

A&C is big time important, I know that full-well living in a municipality that struggles every day trying to convey that message to it's council. But there's a lot of important things. If people care so much (and I do) throw a benefit show and raise some money for these small groups that we advocate. I'm doing it.

Edited by Guest

no' date=' i rent and pay property taxes as part of my rent.[/quote']

In this case, someone is going to have to explain to me the concept of rent control.

It's fixed and tied to inflation. For 2008, rent was increased to 1.4%. For 2007 it was 2.6%. Every increase hits me. The 1.4% increase this year pushed my rent over $1400 per month.

Yes, I get that. I think we all do. I should have reworded my question.

I am wondering how much of your increases are actually tied to property taxes and how its affected by the concept of rent control. Basically, is the renter going to incure the total cost of said property tax increase?

Who's buying the first round of caesars this morning?

(following not directed at Booche)

Also...on average you are talking maybe a 150$ increase per year.Little over 10$.Thats gonna kill you? Ok..maybe you would rather give have 1.7 extra drinks at the bar per month...but really...outrage over 10$?

ooh ooh! I have a better one. Total up how much smoking costs in a year.

If you think artists have it so good' date=' become an artist.

There ya go, all arguments solved. Good strategy Ollie![/quote']

Someone likes me this morning.

Ah I'm sorry Ollie, just having a little fun this morning I guess. You going to the Motley Crue show at Scotiabank in March?

Ah I'm sorry Ollie, just having a little fun this morning I guess. You going to the Motley Crue show at Scotiabank in March?

No harm. I'm just a little frustrated that you read more into my question to matt than I intended. I see the target you are railing against, I just don't think that target is me. I'll take some of the blame for not being super specific and go along with the joke, it has legs I think.

I was thinking about Crue but I already saw them last year and the opening bands suck ass.

My responses were way too wordy. It's not an argument of "they have it so good I wish I had it as good as they do", but more of a "they have it better than they should considering the amount of work involved in getting where they are, and should not be asking for more."

Anyway, ax is buried. Until the next time you bitch about something, of course!

If you think artists have it so good' date=' become an artist.

There ya go, all arguments solved. Good strategy Ollie![/quote']

Someone likes me this morning.

Good cop Bad cop!

Edited by Guest
Hug it out, bitches