Jambands.ca

High School computing in the 80's

bouche

Does anyone remember this computer from highschool?

The Unisys ICON

I created a version of Hangman complete with stickman graphix and a library of 100+ words to guess at in grade 10 or 11. I can't remember which. Anyway, alot of my free time was spent on these computers playing a game called Northwest Fur Traders. Does anyone remember that?

Unisys_Icon_System_s1.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My high school had a single DEC LSI-11 minicomputer, with several (6 or 8, IIRC) VT-100 terminals and DECWriter III console; the first year I got my hands on it, it was running RT-11 (mostly programmed in BASIC coded up on mark-sense cards); it was later upgraded to the multi-user, multi-tasking TSX-Plus operating system, programmed by students mostly in WATFOR-11S (a variant on the FORTRAN programming language, produced by the University of Waterloo), coded both on mark-sense cards and later by editing code on the terminals.

Aloha,

Brad

You bet! I recall always trying to get to some kind of restricted area on the computer that I guess I thought had all kinds of secret codes or something. Or the teacher's answer book or something. Maybe I just watched Wargames too many times.

Here's the other computer we always had in the back of the class... mainly for playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego or Westward Ho. The Commodore Pet!

Commodore_PET4032.jpg

My high school had a single DEC LSI-11 minicomputer, with several (6 or 8, IIRC) VT-100 terminals and DECWriter III console; the first year I got my hands on it, it was running RT-11 (mostly programmed in BASIC coded up on mark-sense cards); it was later upgraded to the multi-user, multi-tasking TSX-Plus operating system, programmed by students mostly in WATFOR-11S (a variant on the FORTRAN programming language, produced by the University of Waterloo), coded both on mark-sense cards and later by editing code on the terminals.

Aloha,

Brad

Bradm's high school computer:

ad005.jpg

Bradm's high school computer:

ad005.jpg

Close. The first computer my Dad used was the IBM 1401, circa 1960, which was about the same time (certainly the same era) as the NCR 390. It was the first computer his employer got, and he told me about being in the loading dock of the building when it was delivered (and almost seeing it fall of the forklift).

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Get off my lawn.

Holy fack, this thread got me hard.

This is (a reasonable approximation of ..) my first love. As happens to all of us who keep on keeping on, eventually we outlive those who made a difference in our lives.

apple_e59.jpg

RIP, my sweety.

(Also: I remember getting in trouble for 'hacking' the school computer by doing the equivalent of this on a C64 -

10 print "my name "

20 goto 10)

Funny how I now feel the urge to put a semi-colon after those lines. And thread title be damned, I was in public school at best. Shit, you guys are old.