Jambands.ca

Poll: Ignatieff Liberals ahead of Conservatives

Hux

I'm becoming more impressed with Ingatieff. I'm watching the press conference in which he's presenting his reaction to the budget, and it looks like he's doing some cool things. He started off by enumerating the things he doesn't like about the budget, then went into the things he does like about it, noting that those things are in the budget due to pressure from a united opposition (read: coalition). He's going to support the budget, but the government is, as he says, "on probation." He's going to introduce an amendment to the budget that requires the government to produce status reports on how the budget measures are going (e.g., how much of the promised money has actually been delivered), and those status reports are going to be confidence votes; the first report would be due in March, with the other reports due in June and then December. Ignatieff says he's doing this to hold the government accountable. He was asked why he wasn't proposing amendments that would affect or include how much money was spent (or how it was spent), and he replied that the job of setting policy was the government's, not the oppisitions; his job as the opposition was to hold the government accountable.

Aloha,

Brad

Maybe it's too soon to tell but we may actually have a true leader at the head of one of our parties...

Agreed (with the "too soon to tell" and "may...have" provisos). In seeing him on TV over the last week or so, I've heard him talk about his vision of what Canada could/should be, which is something I don't recall having seen Harper do. As well, I've seen him anknowledge what he feels are mistakes made by previous Liberal governments (e.g., the National Energy Policy; while Ignatieff admires Pierre Troudeau, he feels the NEP was bad for the West, and damaged the Liberal party in the West). Has Harper publicly said he disagrees with anything done by previous Conservative governments?

Aloha,

Brad