Jambands.ca

The best thing about LiveNation

Velvet

tickets.com just called me to say they sent my 6 tickets to Albany Dead to some guy named Matthew in New York. No apology. Nothing.

Then they said he was mailing the tickets back to them, and I will probably be receiving his 2 tickets and could I please mail them back. Still no apology.

weird.

Congressman asks for investigation of Ticketmaster, TicketsNow over Springsteen

By George Gombossy on February 3, 2009 2:44 PM

PASCRELL SEEKS INVESTIGATION INTO TICKETMASTER BUSINESS PRACTICE WITH SUBSIDIARY, TICKETNOW

Press release:

WASHINGTON-- U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ-08) today requested that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) Antitrust Division investigate Ticketmaster's relationship with its subsidiary company, TicketsNow, following the company's handling of ticket sales for the Bruce Springsteen tour that became available on Monday February 2.

Dear Chairman Kovacic:

I am writing today to direct your attention to a potential conflict of interest regarding Ticketmaster and its affiliate company, TicketsNow. This issue has been brought to my attention through constituent complaints and press reports regarding the online sale of Bruce Springsteen concerts tickets at the IZOD Center in New Jersey and other locations all across the country.

As you know, Ticketmaster is a large ticket sales and distribution company that often serves as a venue's sole ticketing agent. A large percentage of their sales are made online through Ticketmaster.com. In a recent effort expand its business Ticketmaster acquired TicketsNow, a website which specializes in the secondary, resale market for tickets.

When tickets for Bruce Springsteen's new tour went on sale exclusively through Ticketmaster at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, February 2, 2009, scores of fans in New Jersey were met with technical difficulty on Ticketmaster.com that impaired them from making a purchase. Thousands of others who were fortunate enough to get beyond the technical problems were informed that the shows were sold out.

Conspicuously placed on the same screen that informed fans of ticket unavailability was an alternative purchasing option from TicketsNow.com. It offered the same tickets at a value marked up hundreds of dollars beyond their original face value.

I am troubled by how quickly tickets priced exponentially higher became available on the secondary market to thousands of rejected fans, many who also endured unfortunate technical problems on Ticketmaster.com.

I am concerned that the business affiliation between Ticketmaster and TicketsNow may represent a conflict of interest that is detrimental to the average fan. There is a significant potential for abuse when one company is able to monopolize the primary market for a product and also directly manipulate, and profit from, the secondary market.

Additionally, the speed with which tickets were made available on Ticketmaster's official resale affiliate site raises questions about whether TicketsNow brokers were given preferential treatment instead of competing on a level playing field with average consumers to purchase the tickets.

With so many families struggling in this economy, I am outraged by how expensive tickets to ball games, concerts and other shows have become. I understand the economic principles that have driven up the cost of entertainment, but will not tolerate unjust business practices that put regular Americans at a disadvantage.

I respectfully request that your office investigate the relationship between Ticketmaster and TicketsNow to ensure that the procedure for purchasing tickets remains fair to the average consumer. If you require any additional information or have any questions, please contact Arthur Mandel on my staff at (202) 225-5751. I look forward to the favor of your reply.

Sincerely,

Bill Pascrell, Jr.

Member of Congress

from: http://blogs.courant.com/george_gombossy/2009/02/congressman-asks-for-investiga.html

Ticketmaster and Live Nation are close to a merger' date=' in a deal that would consolidate two of the most powerful forces in the music industry under one roof.[/quote']

Is this recent? I ask because everything I read over the last few months of 2008 (and even in jan. this year) had Live nation stating they were severing ties with TM in 2009 (US) and then in 2010 within Canada.

Although I certianly wouldn't be surprised if they already flipped.

Dear Congressman Pascrell,

When will people stop whining? Ticketmaster is doing nothing illegal, and thus should be allowed to carry on with their business unfettered. How many times must I say this?!?!

Sitting in for Basher,

-velvet

you cannot say that with certainty.

how exactly are these re-sellers obtaining the tickets and posting them for sale before anything is publicly released, or in some cases even announced? that has yet to be determined. if it turns out that people within TB are somehow directing tickets to re-sellers then that could very well be illegal.

livenation is a small dog trying to play with the big dogs. my buddy tried to score tickets last night for cornmeal in nyc. Which is a small band that the demand is not their for like phish. My buddy kept trying for phish and kept getting errors. and gave up. so last night same thing would get right to the end then error. so he called and their resoning was that livenation dosn't have an address for their company set to their tickets so my buddy's credit card who has a security protocal kept denying cause their was no address associated with live nation. He calls back and they basically say you are out of luck unless you get a credit card with less security..which made no sence to me??

Edited by Guest

I also read an interesting post from a reader on a blog that suggested that perhaps a lot (all?) of the bands themselves are involved in this, not just "scalpers" or TM only.

With so many other sources now-a-days making money off the artists music, whose to say that the bands are not just bying up stacks of tickets, putting them on the resale sites for inflated prices and then whatever is slow to sell, or even doesn't sell gets re-released on TM's normal ticketing service and they still make their original projected profits. It would be one way of making up some of the losses they claim to occur through online downloading (illegal or legal).

Perhaps thats one way tickets keep popping up on TM and LN days after they claim sell outs, or even the "day of" the show releases. Of course, it's all speculation. But really, why aren't the bands themselves speaking up about this? Its certianly not something new, since both TM & LN have been working together up until this year, and now will be once again working together.

Edited by Guest

An Open Letter of Apology to Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and the entire Springsteen Tour Team:

While we were genuinely trying to do the right thing for fans in providing more choices when the tickets they requested from the primary on-sale were not available, we clearly missed the mark. Fans are confused and angry, which is the opposite of what we hoped to accomplish. We sincerely apologize to Bruce, his organization and, above all, his fans.

We recognize that we need to change our course. We have committed to Bruce and state publicly here that we have taken down all links for Bruce’s shows directing fans from Ticketmaster to TicketsNow. This redirection only occurred as a choice when we could not satisfy fans’ specific search request for primary ticket inventory, but to make sure there is no misunderstanding in the future, we also publicly state that we will never again link to TicketsNow in a manner that can possibly create any confusion during a high-demand on-sale. Specifically, we will not present an option to go to TicketsNow from Ticketmaster without the consent of the artist and the venue, both of whom work together to bring the joy of live entertainment to millions of fans.

If any fans inadvertently purchased tickets in the resale marketplace believing in error they were purchasing from the initial on-sale, we will refund the difference between the actual purchase price and the face price of the ticket. (Please don’t abuse this good faith gesture – we did not give brokers any preferential access to tickets.)

We are committed to helping deliver the most transparent and best live entertainment experience to fans. We will do better going forward.

Sincerely,

Irving Azoff, CEO, Ticketmaster Entertainment